Join now - be part of our community!

Bug? Android 7.0 I can't select ClearAudio+ out of Standard mode in the HDMI with PS4

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Bug? Android 7.0 I can't select ClearAudio+ out of Standard mode in the HDMI with PS4

With the PS4 on (any HDMI) if I go into Sound settings and I change the mode from Standard to  Cinema (or Music, or Sport) and then I enable ClearAudio+ the mode goes back to Standard. WIth ClearAudio + on. Switching ClearAudio+ to off it switches back to Cinema. With the PS4 off and the blank HDMI screen it works..

No issue connecting my MacBook Pro in the same HDMI port(s). Actually I tested for last the PS4 on HDMI 4 with Sport/ClearAudio+ on, it went back to Standard/ClearAudio+ on and plugging the MacBook Pro on HDMI 4 instead it switched immediately to Sport/ClearAudio+ on.

Nor it's an issue with the PS3 on HDMI 1 (not that the HDMI port seems to matter).

Again this may (or may not) be related to the infamous banner randomly showing when playing the PS4.

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Jecht_Sin

Sorry for the delay in responding, which I also saw from your reply to another thread about this.  I'll test this out to see if I can replicate this issue, if so ill report it to Sony as a bug.  Although given Sony's track record on fixing this at the moment... Its gonna take a while.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Thanks @Anonymous

Hopefully with a $20,000 television coming out (which should also have a good audio. Checked it the other day with a 65" A! Oled myself) Sony will put a bit more effort on fixing things like this. Although I must say that the image settings have been fixed in 7.0. In 6.0.1 they were a similar mess.

Personally I keep reproducing this. Indeed I was confused before. I tend to like the Cinema mode with Surround enabled. Only that I wasn't sure what was going on and the first times I gave up. Yesterday I did a full check.

And now I have got a new one: in Cinema the surround and DSEE were usualy off in CInema mode. I started the PS4 and now they are on? I eneabled ClearAudio+ it switched back to Standard again. Disabled it it switched to CIname but with Surround and DSEE off again. What a mess.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I finally got around to testing this on my PS4 and can confirm the same issue.  However I have a feeling that this is by design rather than a bug.

Firstly, what is ClearAudio+ ?  Not many explainations exist as far as I can tell.  However HERE states:

"ClearAudio+ is a special sound field that detects a music tract that the user is currently playing, then selects the best sound field to deliver the best possible sound listening experience. Hence, you may hear a different sound effect whenever a tract with a different audio format is played.  "

So if ClearAudio+ is a 'special' sound field, then this is over-riding the TV Sound modes as they then cease to exist.

So why does it work OK on other devices such as a PC/Mac?  I would guess that as the TV and PS4 is made by Sony, then Sony can specifically ensure compatibility on these sound fields.

So at the end of the day, I confirm - but I do not believe its a bug.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

I dunno.  I tested it with PS3 and whatever I configured in the tv's audio settings I heard no difference at all. But the ClearAudio+ doesn't switch the sound mode.

I mean, it isn't really a vital thing for me (the audio with my setup is crap no matter what). As I explained in the other thread it is just a guess that this may be related to the infamous banner randomly appearing. Still, personally I believe it should be consistent. ClearAudio+ changes the audio field, it doesn't (must not?) change the audio mode. As it doesn't from the Android apps indeed (there Android gets the tracks straight from the source. I don't understand why from the PS4 via HDMI it should be different).

To me it's like the picture settings in 6.0.1, they were all messed up. Now in 7.0 at least they have a solid logic behind them (for each input there is an unique set of modes, with each mode unique again for that input). It's a matrix, thus quite complex to keep track of it, but at least logical. The audio's settings instead make little sense to me. Sometime I hardly know what I am doing setting them.