Join now - be part of our community!

BUG: Random restarts after updating to 6.0.1 v6.1004?

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

BUG: Random restarts after updating to 6.0.1 v6.1004?

I have got a 49XD8099 and recently updated (via USB) to the latest Android 6.0.1 version, v6.1004 (March 15 2017 release). I don't know if it has to do with the fact that after updating I could find out why I couldn't connect to the WiFi, and configured the tv to use WiFi accordingly, but since then I keep having the tv restarting Android randomly once or twice per day with the television in stand-by.

I first could notice it because after a reboot it goes to the HDMI 4 (since I don't have an antenna I have set it up that way to avoid turning on the PS4), and then checking with the side-loaded CPU-Z I can see the uptime. Now it just restarted in front of my eyes.

Again, the only difference is that I am now using WiFi. I'll try going back to wired and see if it happens again, still I am getting quite tired of this kind of issues. Anyone else getting the same problem?

109 REPLIES 109
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

This is nothing new. It already happened with Lollipop on my set. Sometimes it wouldn't do it for a long time, then, all of a sudden, frequent reboots in standby start again. I don't know what it depends on. Standby behavior is bad anyway, see my review. I don't know what the TV does in standby all the time.

Also see my bug tracker.

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Well, it's very new to me. I never had Lollipop and with 6.0.1 I never had a restart in standby before updating to v6.1004. Now I switched it back to a wired connection, even disabling the WiFi, and it still does it.

I'd just like to know what Sony (and first of all Mediatek!!) are doing. (frequent) random system reboots aren't acceptable. This feels like Windows Blue Screen of Death all over again. And since we are not rooted it can't be an user fault, it's the OS/kernel.

Anyway, I thought the issues reported here were going to be escalated to Sony. Is it still the case?

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

They do get escalated, but most of the time it is worth [profanity removed by moderator].

Quality indeed is underwhelming...

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Funny.. It seems to have stopped. At least I didn't have any restart in the last day and a half. Using the tv more than usual. I even tested a Chromecast switching between the Chromecast and Googlecast of the tv!

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

I assume something happens from the outside. Probably some silent update that needs a reboot. Like with the info butten on Netflix that suddenly worked again without any update...

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

I had more or less the same idea.. Actually I know of cases of systems going banana because of bugs in the servers. The OS still should never reboot itself for something from the outside (that's a big no, a critical issue), but it's also true that some weird server behaviour can have good chances of triggering hidden clients bugs.

At least I hope this has been the case. Although I am quite sure I will experience some more reboots in the near future.. In case I'll post them here.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

After quite some days without a reboot, I had one tonight while the TV was in standby...

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

In my case I have been monitoring it, and I reached 6-7 days without any issue. Then I rebooted it manually because I had other issues (nothing major, though). Oh well, at least it seems fine, now. After the update it was every few hours.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Sony probably brought in some quick fixes via backdoor after the update :wink: .