Join now - be part of our community!

BUG: Random restarts after updating to 6.0.1 v6.1004?

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

BUG: Random restarts after updating to 6.0.1 v6.1004?

I have got a 49XD8099 and recently updated (via USB) to the latest Android 6.0.1 version, v6.1004 (March 15 2017 release). I don't know if it has to do with the fact that after updating I could find out why I couldn't connect to the WiFi, and configured the tv to use WiFi accordingly, but since then I keep having the tv restarting Android randomly once or twice per day with the television in stand-by.

I first could notice it because after a reboot it goes to the HDMI 4 (since I don't have an antenna I have set it up that way to avoid turning on the PS4), and then checking with the side-loaded CPU-Z I can see the uptime. Now it just restarted in front of my eyes.

Again, the only difference is that I am now using WiFi. I'll try going back to wired and see if it happens again, still I am getting quite tired of this kind of issues. Anyone else getting the same problem?

109 REPLIES 109
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

It is however and embarrassment how easy it is to bring the system to its knees. I already stopped counting factory resets that I performed on my TV.

Donkey_Dude
Explorer

Currently my Sony Bravia 2015 is rebooting every 5 mins! I've turned it off and on again several times but it's still doing the same thing.

Any help out there?

profile.country.GB.title
Btron1
Explorer

Hi

Another quick update - since factory reset 16th November, still no more random reboots/restarts.

Another improvement I have noticed is the eradication of the sound issues on the Amazon Video app (juddering/stuttering).  Previously this was driving me mad and made it unusable at times.

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Still getting random reboots in standby with Android 7.0, FW 6.2671. Very sporadic (once every 2-10 days. But I usually reboot the TV myself before that time) but they are there.

profile.country.GB.title
theklinker
Explorer

I found my way to this forum after looking for issues with my kd-55xd8599 randomly rebooting. I've noticed it more since the last update but also seems to be occuring more with my Xbox one x. It can happen within a few minutes or a few hours of being switched on. It just switches off without warning but you can switch it back on with the remote. Have done a factory reset in the TV, swapped out HDMI cables and even reconfigured the one X settings to see it that makes a difference but still seems the same. It's really frustrating now and regretting getting this TV as there have always been issues with every update

profile.country.NL.title
ivsivris
Explorer

Hello guys,

I'm new to the community. Of course that means bad news :grin: I'm the owner of a KD-43X8305C '15 Android TV. Since I had the tv, it rebooted a few times every now and then. Considering this is running Android, and phones also freeze, no alarm bells. But lately it's rebooting daily for about 3 to 4 times on average usage. Upon reading all the comments, it still does not seem to be solved.

Did anyone try to change / swap tv's through warranty?

profile.country.GB.title
TK421-
Explorer

Been watching this thread for a while and finally had enough and raised a case with support. If I get a daft response asking me to factory reset I'll report this to The Trading Standards Authority because Sony' lack of support around this issue (and the other 40+ listed) has been p1$$p00r.

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

@ivsivris wrote:

Did anyone try to change / swap tv's through warranty?

It would be useless. It's a bug (nest) in Android TV. It seems to have to do with the network libraries. Indeed disabling all networks (no ethernet cable and WiFi tuned off) the issue should disappear.

The good news is that the issue became much less frequent in Android 7.0. The bad news is that the Android 6.0.1 TVs won't receive Android 7.0 before spring (when it will be announced).

profile.country.GB.title
allencresswell

I've waited quite a while since the last software update before commenting.

For my own TV it hasn't re-booted of it's own accord at all since the last update.

Still sad to learn that this is not the case for everyone though.

I still get messages when bringing out the TV from standby about the TV is not connected to the internet, quickly followed by your TV is connected to the internet and a regular is that no channels are stored, even though they are!

Not major issues but still something that we shouldn't expect from a "premium" brand that Sony is supposed to be.

Amazon app judder is another issue altogether though!

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

@allencresswell wrote:

I still get messages when bringing out the TV from standby about the TV is not connected to the internet,

Ow, so it isn't just me. The workaround I used in the theard about energy consumption isn't working anymore!! But it was working fine after the update. It has got messed up (again) after my last reset to factory settings.

quickly followed by your TV is connected to the internet a

Nope, not quickly in my case. I must wait a minute or so.