Join now - be part of our community!

Built in apps not playing on my new Sony tv

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
claredrews

Built in apps not playing on my new Sony tv

Just bought a Sony tv purely to get catchup channels as my previous Sony tv only had BBC iplayer. The apps for itvhub, Channel 4 and my5 apps are all there. The only one that will play programmes is BBC iplayer. The other apps will play the adverts and then stops before the programmes starts. Very frustrating. Help anyone???? 

19 REPLIES 19
profile.country.GB.title
Tonycv51
Contributor

In the tv menu system there is something like "initial setup". 

Rerun that, skip the Tv tuner part but accept all Sony and youview terms and conditions. Only takes a minute and will hopefully cure the issues.

Note this is not the same as a factory reset - you're just re running the Tv setup

profile.country.GB.title
claredrews

Goo the Youview part, it's adki g for my postcode. How do I do that with remote? 

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
profile.country.GB.title
Tonycv51
Contributor

I think if you press the centre button it opens up a keyboard on the screen? 

profile.country.GB.title
claredrews

Well, after all that stress, itvhub now plays. Channel 4 not so good, sound and picture out of sync, but is that me or channel 4??. Thank you so much for giving me such simple instructions. Grateful. 

profile.country.GB.title
Tonycv51
Contributor

Glad it's working - they should put something in the FAQ tbh as there are regular posts on here re itv and ch4 issues that can be solved via accepting the terms and conditions

RE ch4 I don't recall sync issues - may just be a temporary  glitch on that program 

profile.country.GB.title
claredrews

I think that was a glitch, tried another channel 4 programme and it's all OK. I thought I did accept terms when I set it up, maybe not. So, is does Youview control those apps?? Funny how tech problems get you so enraged!! Thanks again. 

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
profile.country.GB.title
Tonycv51
Contributor

Yes itv and ch4 app are completely linked to youview on Sony android. Iplayer less so, my5 is not linked.

There is a way to sideload the apps and use them with youview turned off but it does require downloading onto a USB from a computer etc. so not worth it if you're happy with youview or not technical

profile.country.GB.title
claredrews

Thought I'd better check my5 after you saying that. Phew, works OK. I'll leave things as they are, no "sideloading" going on here. Thanks again for your help, I was fast becoming enraged!!! 

Good luck with getting anywhere with Sony. My Bravia periodically disconnects from the internet. I have bought a wired connection and jumped through every hoop Sony customer service presented but their real stroke of genius was telling me to take it to the next town during lockdown or pay for a courier to pick the tv up! What planet are they on, obviously one without Covid19.  
the tv may be a crock of s**t but I need a tv at the moment. 

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

And what @Beauvallon1960  your post add to the present discussion that was solved?