Join now - be part of our community!

cannot connect to 5ghz wifi with kd-65xe8596 (no ip address)

profile.country.CZ.title
tony.montana
Explorer

cannot connect to 5ghz wifi with kd-65xe8596 (no ip address)

Hi,

anyone having troubles connecting to 5ghz wifi from kd-65xe8596 TV? 2.4 working fine without any issue. When trying 5ghz it takes some time but in the end TV display it is connected without Internet access. Checking the IP address on the TV and it uses the autoconfig IP (169.254.9.98).

What I tried so far:

-seting DHCP server to lease IP based on TV MAC // Didnt help

-manually set IP address on the TV from my network range //Didnt help

-restart router //Didnt help

-change to different router //Didnt help

-reduce channel width from 20/40/80Mhz to 20mhz // HELPED, but speed is drastically reduced. Worse than 2.4Ghz

Is this some kind of hardware issue with my TV WIFI adapter or anyone else having similar issues? 

Thanks alot

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Check whether WiFi Direct is disabled on your BRAVIA.

profile.country.CZ.title
tony.montana
Explorer

Hi,

thanks for reply. Yeah its disabled.

Regards Anton

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

How far away are you from the access point? 5GHz wireless performance is pretty bad on Sony.

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Hi tony.montana,

Welcome to the Sony Community. I’m not sure what is the reason for trying to force the 5.0GHz band instead of the 2.4GHz but I presume you are looking for higher connection speeds.

It is true that you could reach higher connection speeds using the 5.0GHz band but the downside is that you must reduce the range considerably to profit to the maximum from the wider channel widths of this band. That means that you cannot expect to keep the TV and the Wireless AP at the same location then only switch from 2.4GHz to 5.0GHz to enjoy from the wider channel capabilities. 

So in short, the smaller the distance between your TV and the Wireless AP the higher the advantage of using the 5.0GHz band will be. 

Cheers,

Dutchice

profile.country.CZ.title
tony.montana
Explorer

Exactly the connection speeds, since ethernet port on the TV is just 100mbit I dont have any other option to stream my 4K movies from the NAS (which has SSD disks and is connected to my WIFI router with 1 gig copper connection). I dont have HDMI on the NAS that would solve the problem 😞 The WIFI router is like 1m from the TV. Cant see any other 5ghz wifi communicating on same channel. So the signal should be fine.

Will try to do some good old packet sniffing to see what the hack is going on.