Join now - be part of our community!

Cannot update TV by USB-pin

profile.country.DK.title
MortenTheSonyUser
Explorer

Cannot update TV by USB-pin

Hi experts,

Our Sony TV (KDL-43W755C) has a lot of errors. (The language is Danish but in this message, I have translated it into English.)

In "Settings" it says that the kernel is of version 3.10.79 and when I try to update it, it says that it is up to date.

When I press the "Help" button I can see in the top-most right corner, that it has version PKG5.433.0183EUA. I have downloaded version PKG5.457 from Sonys web page. Then I have put the pkg file on an USB-pin with no other files or folders.

When I insert the USB-pin into the TV, it copies the file and restarts the TV a couple of times. Then it starts up and shows the squares with "Watch TV", "Enjoy Netflix..." and so on.

It never says that the update is finished. (Sony writes on this Danish page, that it must say that: https://www.sony.dk/electronics/support/lcd-tvs-android-w75xc_w80xc-series/kdl-43w755c/software/0025....)

After waiting 30 minutes, I have turned the TV off and cut the power. Then it starts up and when I press "Help", I can see that it still has version PKG5.433.0183EUA.

What can I do to install the update? Can any of you experts please help?

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hi MortenTheSonyUser, did you extract the file "before" transferring it to the USB? If you did, there's nothing else that I can think of other than trying another USB that's been formatted. 

If both suggestions didn't work, you can send it to the service centre to update it and look at it.

Are you based in the UK or Germany? 

profile.country.DK.title
MortenTheSonyUser
Explorer

Hi HannahEd01,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I extracted the zip-file, so the only thing on the USB pin was the .pkg file. And then I tried some other things, I've read about:

I tried another USB pin.

After that, I formatted one of them and tried again.

After that, I made a "soft close" (pressing "on/off" button for 5 seconds) and tried again.

After that, I selected "Accept all" to the policy settings and tried again.

After that, I made a "hard close" (disconnecting the power cable when the TV is on) and tried again.

After that, I restored the factory settings and tried again.

Then I talked to the shop here in Denmark, where I bought it 6 years ago. They didn't have any suggestions and there is no insurance after 6 years. Maybe I can deliver it to them, so they can send it to a service center, but I think that must be very expensive for me (even though this obviously is an error in the software provided by Sony).

Any suggestions are very welcome.

Piscie
Community Team

Hey @MortenTheSonyUser, I'd actually recommend contacting the Sony reps directly, any more digging in different places would just confuse things even more.

profile.country.DK.title
MortenTheSonyUser
Explorer

Hi Piscie,

Yes, since there is no solution on this forum, I'll contact Sony.

Best regards,

Morten

Piscie
Community Team

@MortenTheSonyUser, hopefully they will sort this out for you, fingers crossed.