Join now - be part of our community!

Catchup problems with BBC IPlayer

profile.country.GB.title
PatrickCol
Explorer

Catchup problems with BBC IPlayer

Have a 1 year old Sony Bravia TV.  Can catch up programmes (channels 3, 4, 5 etc) successfully, but not all when I have to use BBC iPlayer. Can anyone help please?

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
Mick_D

Hi @PatrickCol, welcome to the community.

We would need to know the TV model number to be able to help out here, primarily to establish whether yours is Android-based. 

Assuming it is, you may be able to find an answer to your question by checking this page.

Cheers

Mick

profile.country.GB.title
PatrickCol
Explorer

Hi Mick,

My 2 year old Sony Tv is model 43Xf8505bu.  Very frustrated as we cannot catch up on BBC programmes (OK on other channels).  Furthermore, as oldies we HAVE payed the contentious licence fee, so are doubly annoyed by this degraded service!  Can you please help?

Thanks

Patrick C

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@PatrickCol 

Can you please describe what happens exactly, when you try to use the BBC iPlayer?

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
PatrickCol
Explorer

After "watch from catchup"' I get "one moment" and then "you now need to sign into your BBC account".

It prompts bbc.com/account/tv  and then gives a code.  In today's case we23ymhp. By the time I have got to my iMac (in another room) to insert any code given, it has still not allowed me to catchup BBC programmes. We do not have smart phones. This problem only apparent in the past week, as BBC catchup was always feasible before.  Can you please help?

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@PatrickCol 

My immediate first thought is that you should check that the BBC IPlayer account you are using on the iMac is the same as the BBC iPlayer account you are using on the Sony TV. 

As far as I know, the prompt on the TV does not timeout; certainly not in the time it would take you to go to another room and enter the code in a browser tab open ready on your BBC iPlayer account on an already booted iMac. (Which is, I hope, what you are doing?)

I also note your first post here was a year ago. Have you had the problem that long, or did you solve it a year ago and not update us with how, and it has just surfaced again? In which case, can you recall what you did to fix it the last time? Possibly by resolving the above ‘two accounts’ issue?

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
PatrickCol
Explorer

Hi Roy

Thanks for your reply.  I have since solved the problem, by trying 3 times to input different 8-digit codes that came up on my TV screen. It succeeded on the 3rd attempt and I guess there is a time-out function that made the first 2 attempts unsuccessful.  As an Octagenarian, I'm not too quick at scurrying  about the house from one room to another. You are right that I had a similar problem a long time ago, but cannot recall how that was fixed.  Perhaps by one of the  grandchildren! Thanks again for your help.

Kind regards,

Pat C