Join now - be part of our community!

Chromecast unavailable from standby (KD-55XD9305)

profile.country.GB.title
d_dave_1
Explorer

Chromecast unavailable from standby (KD-55XD9305)

I would like to be able to wake up the TV from standby when I attempt to cast something to it, but this only works for a period of time after it has been switched off.  Once this period has elapsed the TV is unavailable for casting and has to be switched on manually before the functionality is available.

I'm assuming that the Chromecast functionality is switched off by the TV after a period of time to save power, although I can wake the TV using the remote app so network functionality must be present.

Does anybody else suffer from this same issue or have a solution?

17 REPLIES 17
profile.country.GB.title
d_dave_1
Explorer

I guess I could just buy a Chromecast, does nobody else experience this?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

After a couple of hours the TV goes into a 'deep sleep' mode.  So more than likely chromecast/googlecast services are suspended in this mode. 

Solution is to turn the TV on before hand.  If you're not that close to the TV, have you tried using Sony's "Video and TV Sideview" App ?

http://info.tvsideview.sony.net/en_ww/

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
d_dave_1
Explorer

Ok, well that would explain it.  The galling thing about this is that the expensive TV I bought can't even deliver the features of a £30 Chromecast device which would wake the TV from standby and play via HDMI.

For me this is something that should be fixed by Sony.  Would you happen to know how  I can raise it with them?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I think the reason why the Chromecast device will 'wake' the TV up is simply because it is connected via HDMI and using a protocol called HDMI-CEC and its features.  HDMI-CEC features can include "Auto TV ON" and "Auto Devices OFF"

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
d_dave_1
Explorer

Yes you are most probably right, but remember that the TV does indeed wake up from standby with the built-in chromecast for a period of time, it can wake-up via the IP remote software at any time so I see it as a fault that the chromecast becomes unavailable regardless of the technical reasons.

I agree that the chromecast being suspended in this way is a bug since it is contradictory to normal chromecast behaviour.

The cast device should remain reachable on the network and be able to wake the TV.

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Actually with "Enable Remote Start" on the TV should always be visible by the apps supporting Chromecast in the mobile. Also because it seems there is a bug that prevents the TV to go in Deep Sleep when that option is On. Personally I have always seen my TV when that option is enabled. Then I disabled it because not going into deep sleep the TV consumes about 17-20W/h.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Jecht_Sin schrieb:

Also because it seems there is a bug that prevents the TV to go in Deep Sleep when that option is On.

That's not the case. But some ZeroConf protocols can easily wake it up. If I for example enable Bonjour on my NAS, the TV goes into deep sleep and is woken up again several seconds later. So the TV toggles between deep and shallow sleep state every few seconds. If I disable Bonjour on the NAS, then the standby behavior is about the same as with remote start being disabled. Only difference is that deep sleep power consumption is a bit higher (~1W). So certain packets can still wake it up (similar to WoL).

Actually with "Enable Remote Start" on the TV should always be visible by the apps supporting Chromecast in the mobile.

If I remember it correctly, my the processor in the TV always woke up as soon as I unlocked my iPhone which probably was also triggered via Bonjour. So the TV was indeed visible for Chromecast clients. But if the TV stays in deep sleep which it also enters with remote start being enabled, then the TV won't be visible.

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

@Kuschelmonschter Now I don't remember well, but I think that in my case with Remote Start on, no matter if I didn't touch anything, each time I turned on the TV it woke up too fast, as if it wasn't sleeping. A couple of times foir testing it has been the first thing I did after the night. But sure, I have a MacBook always on (although sleeping) while at home and that may influence it as well.

Still, shouldn't the Google Cast "discovery" (when we touch the Chromecast icon in the phone's app) send a Bonjour signal or something similar? I mean, it should behave like when you unlock the iPhone. At the worst I have seen my TV or another (with Chromecast) appearing after a couple of seconds.

Or can it happen that if the TV is in deep sleep unlocking the iPhone it doesn't wake up? I am a bit confused.