Join now - be part of our community!

Colour temperature fault KDL-50W805C, Optical light fault

profile.country.BR.title
sonyfan0012

Colour temperature fault KDL-50W805C, Optical light fault

1. TV goes off with right colour temperature  Expert 1

I turn it off , and, after 8 minutes I turn on the TV... It's gone, it's all bluish.

I have to manually change it in the menu or change to:

Another HDMI

TV

App.

Did two factory resets and I won't do no more!

This is incredible. It's a basic thing. The TV has to retain its color

Configuration. I've never seen anything like this in my entire life!

2. The red optical light of the toslink connector for audio on the back of the TV doesn't go off.

I am just wondering if this nice piece of engineering is always online...

Can anyone confirm to me that, after 8 minutes off, the red toslink light goes off on the back of the TV, please?

Thank you.

91 REPLIES 91
profile.country.DE.title
sonyw805c

hi @all

so there are 2 new Sony TV series that are not 100% affected by this certain issue but has an (in my opinion) even worse problem with the saturation of the colour adjustment.

43 XE 8005   (introduced in market  Q1-2017
https://community.sony.de/t5/android-tv/sony-xe-8005-farbwerte-verstellen-sich-selbstandig-nach-tv-s...
KD-49XD8305 (introduced in market  Q2-Q3-2016)
https://community.sony.de/t5/android-tv/kd-49xd8305-probleme-farbeinstellung-tv-sender/m-p/2291403
use google translate or something else...  should be enough  for headshaking

Their colour problem already appears by changing the TV-channel only!
no turning off for 20 minute problem like the w80c

Make SONY Great Again
profile.country.DE.title
rhiley88
Explorer

I had been struggling with the same problem for months....until yesterday. Since Sony onbviously either doesn't give a ... about after-sales support and/ or customer satisfaction or is just incapable of producing more or less flawlessly working products, I tried a lot to resolve the problem since in my case it definitely didn't exist right from the beginning. 

First of all, I found out that by enabling demo mode you can actually influence the picture settings within home menu (especially within the settings menu where changing the picture/ color temperature was impossible before). After enabling demo-mode, the TV uses its "Brilliant" picture-mode on every input and it likewise uses it within its settings menu (here it uses the same settings as those used for non-video apps such as the opera browser). Hence, if you change those settings (those for non-video apps such as Opera) before enabling demo-mode, the TV will use "your" settings whtin the settings menu even after disabling demo-mode (and the "revert picture" setting in the same menu which needs to be disabled separately) again. 

So I thought (based on the findings of sonyfan0012)  by changing those settings (change the color temperature to expert or  warm within "Brilliant" mode for non-video apps) the TV would use those settings even after being turned off for more than 15 minutes. Turned out I was wrong. The tv keeps using those settings permanently within the settings menu, but nowhere else.

HOWEVER, playing around with demo mode somehow resolved the color temperature fault resulting in my TV using the correct color temperature after coming out of standby. I don't know what exactly happened, but the problem has been resolved until now. 

BTW: enabling demo mode doesn't permanently alter any of your picture settings. It will just switch to "Brilliant"-mode for every input. 

Maybe those findings will be useful for some of you.

[ Edited for language] EdU

profile.country.BR.title
sonyfan0012

Thank, you rhiley88, to help me find the FIX.

It has nothing to to with the demo mode, or the auto restore mode from the retail demo mode.

I did everything rhiley88 said;

first I changed every video mode from every input, including apps, to the vivid one,

then changed the colour temperature of everyone of them to Expert 1

Went to the demo mode, activated only the picture auto restore feature.

I turned on the bluray and noticed the picture changed automatically to VIVID

and my settings had changed, the picture temperature had gone to COOL.

I went to youtube and everything had changed too.

Then, while on youtube I changed all of the confugurations from VIVID to something similiar

to CINEMA PRO. And also did the same while on the Configurations page, you know?

where all the big icons are. Its video configuration is diferent from the normal APPS, it's like

a SECOND APP configuration.

So yeah I changed the VIVID mode to something similar to cinema pro in both Youtube,

TV input, and Configurations page (the one with big icons).

I noticed that both youtube and Configurations page didn't reset its image configurations

when I changed inputs. Only bluray mode and TV turned everything I had changed to

total VIVID mode, resetting all my configs.

Turned off the tv for 20 minutes.

The only remaining unchanged configurations was the ones on the configurations page (the one with big icons), the one with big menus.

Then i turned off the auto reset from demo mode.

The trick here is: LEAVE the video configurations for APPs (while on the configurations page

as VIVID and calibrated as the same calibration you use for the other inputs!) that's the trick!

Re-calibrate all other inputs, including APPS for youtube, bluray, tv, etc. everything.

Notice that the MUSIC mode (its video configuration is the same as the video configuration

from the settings page, so if you change the MUSIC video settings you will be changing the video settings from the configurations page, thus changing what we wanna do) PS: KODI also uses the same APP video configuration from the settings page.

Turn off the tv for 20 minutes:

you will notice there is no colour temperature change!

What happened was: once turned off, the tv would call back the VIVID temperature

for the settings page, the one with big icons, WHILE still using the one you had previously set!

This is very weird, i know, because there was no change in brightness, nor in picture configurations,

just the change to COOL.

SO the fix is: while on the configurations page,  go to picture settings, pick VIVID and calibrate it as the other inputs, dosen't matter if youre using cinema pro or custom on the other ones, just calibrate the vivid as the other ones.

THATS THE FIX!!!!

profile.country.BR.title
sonyfan0012

just waiting for the other guys to replicate what I did.

Let's see if it works for you guys.

is simple.

leave all inputs, tv, bluray, youtube, other inputs, everything calibrated the same.

go to the settings page, the to the picture settings while on this page with big icons,

change the picture to VIVID and calibrate everything on it to MIMIC the picture configurations

of your other inputs.

FIXED!

profile.country.BR.title
sonyfan0012

After one day, discovered that the FIX.... only solves as the tv is not gone to DEEP SLEEP MODE. After two hours the tv goes to deep sleep and when you turn on again, it has the wrong color temperature again. The fix only solves half of the problem -- it's only worth it you turn on the tv before 2 hours that you have turned it off.... So... This IS NOT A FIX... I am gonna try another thing. To put all the inputs with the VIVID mode and change the VIVID mode to mimic the configurations from the CINEMA pro (the picture settings I use) and try and see if this fix it. it PROBABLY WONT. This is just broke....
profile.country.DE.title
rhiley88
Explorer

Same thing here,

reverting all inputs except for the one for non-video apps (I left this one on brilliant/ vivid mode) to the desired picture mode doesn't resolve the problem entirely. Sometimes it chooses the right color temperature even after being turned off for a longer period of time, sometimes it doesn't. 

Seriously, I'm giving up. This has definitely been my last Sony device. Sony has been in financial trouble with some sectors for quite a while now. Now I can st least understand why. I have always chosen Sony over other (e.g. Samsung) products but I might wanna change my mind after many years. If that's what Sony offers, then I don't mind them losing even more market share (they rather deserve it under these circumstances). At least I couldn't advise anyone to buy another Sony TV, as sad as it seems. 

profile.country.DE.title
rhiley88
Explorer

Found this solution/ workaroud in another thread and it seems to solve the problem (I have only tried it yesterday, but you might wanna give it a try).

However, I suspect it might probably prevent the TV from going into deep sleep mode or at least raise power comsumption during standby. 

So what you could try is the following:

Enable Remote start in network settings (this was already enabled in my case) and enable (simple) IP Control under Network-> Home network 

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Enabling IP Control is actually enough. It prevents deep sleep altogether. So your TV will constantly draw 20W.

So only the screen is switched off, the rest (like the processors and Android) keeps fully running. That's not a good solution...

There are a bunch of deep sleep issues on the TV, see here. Yours isn't even in there as I can't reproduce it on my Sony 4K TV.

profile.country.BR.title
sonyfan0012

your workaround seems to be a real workaround.

The first real one for this matter.

I can't confirm because, you know how these things are, I gotta be sure!

If it gets to be the real deal, gonna post on every other forum and give props to you, rhiley88

for solving this mistery.

And, yes, the tv will be at 20w, processors running, everything running besides the screen and sound

and major activities. But if you thing about it...  your cellphone runs 24/7... The tvs chipset is not an intel,

it's an ARM, just like Sony cellphones.

I think it's ok.

Let see if it sticks!

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

And, yes, the tv will be at 20w, processors running, everything running besides the screen and sound

and major activities. But if you thing about it...  your cellphone runs 24/7... The tvs chipset is not an intel,

it's an ARM, just like Sony cellphones.

The problem is not those ARM cores. They are so ultra slow on the Sony that they hardly consume any power even under full load. It is more likely the image processor and tuner(s) (even when not used at all). If you look at those streaming boxes around, they consume 2W when playing some video and <1W when idle. Why does a Sony TV consume 20W when the display is off?

A cellphone in standby has a power consumption in the area of mW. We would have a huge battery issue otherwise. So we are talking about factor 100-1000 here.