Join now - be part of our community!

Connect iPhone to Sony TV to watch programmes

profile.country.GB.title
TobiasRieper315

Connect iPhone to Sony TV to watch programmes

IMG_0025.PNGHi 

I have a Sony Bravia Smart TV. I have iPhone 6s and wish to watch my Channel 4 App from phone to TV. There is a little 'wifi icon' on my iPhone that says 'connect to tv KD-55XD8599' at the top of my iPhone App. 

I connect and and it appears to 'mirror' or show the content to my tv i.e. in this case Ch4OD. However, the programme just freezes/hangs and my programme doesn't play.

Am I doing anything wrong, is there something else I need to do etc?

Many thanks

13 REPLIES 13
profile.country.SE.title
joeldeluxe

@TobiasRieper315 wrote:

IMG_0025.PNGHi 

I have a Sony Bravia Smart TV. I have iPhone 6s and wish to watch my Channel 4 App from phone to TV. There is a little 'wifi icon' on my iPhone that says 'connect to tv KD-55XD8599' at the top of my iPhone App. 

I connect and and it appears to 'mirror' or show the content to my tv i.e. in this case Ch4OD. However, the programme just freezes/hangs and my programme doesn't play.

Am I doing anything wrong, is there something else I need to do etc?

Many thanks

Is your TV connected using Wifi? If so try using a ethernet cable, it's often more stable as Wifi has a lot of interference :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
TobiasRieper315

Yes, both my TV and iPhone are connected to wifi.  TV via ethernet cable to my Router Hub and iPhone wirelessly.

But, is it as simple as this?

I've googled and apparently to view on the TV with Apple iPhone, you need an Apple TV and connect via AirPlay wirelessly.

To view any other means, i.e. Apple iPhone to Sony TV for example, you need a Lightning Adaptor cable connected to your Apple iPhone, then a USB from adaptor/iPhone to the TV in order to stream TV.

???

profile.country.GB.title
TobiasRieper315

Anyone please?

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

You may do it the other way around. Which means to enable AirPlay on your television. There are various Android apps for that purpose. For example you can test this one: 

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.waxrain.airplayer

Which is free. If it works like you want you may get the Pro version. Otherwise test similar apps. The one on the link was at most fine from my MacBook Pro (streaming is bad no matter what. Or at least I never managed to make it crystal clear).

Still I am a bit surprised that an iPhone app is using Googlecast (the "wifi" icon you used). But i don't own an iPhone, so what do I know.. :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
TobiasRieper315

Hi Jecht_Sin,

I was of the understanding that 'AirPlay' only works with Apple TV.

I will explain in detail what I wish to achieve, if it is possible:

I have an Apple iPhone 6s.  

I have the All4 App on my iPhone.

I would like to play the content from the All4 App (which is on my iPhone) and play it on my Sony Bravia TV (rather than watch it on a small device i.e. my iPhone).

Is this possible?  (I'm not sure it is)

Here are two images to assist you:

(1)  Screenshot from my All4 App

20170130_165300000_iOS.png

(2)  Screenshot when I connect (but nothing happens !)20170318_003758000_iOS.png

Which makes me think that it is not compatible or possible to do?

i.e. Youtube is easy peasy, but the above scenario I don't think is.

That little 'wifi' icon in the square, is that Googlecast, or is it just telling you that the device can be connected to another compatible device i.e. an Apple TV ?

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

just an idea...... why don't you sideload All 4 apk on your TV and run it there?

profile.country.GB.title
TobiasRieper315

Hi kinggo01,

I have Sky connected to my Sony TV and although Sky does have the All4 App, it doesn't have that 'My4', the part where you can watch those 'Walter Presents' series (that are not always broadcast on TV).

You can only watch 'All4' on a Sony TV via 'Youview' (i.e. aerial connection).  In my flat, the aerial socket is on the other side of the room!! (Don't ask).

The All4 App on my PS3 which was a good work around, has now decided (after they updated it) to not function properly!! (continually freezes)

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

and again, why don't you try sideloading All4 apk on your TV? The same app that you use on your iPhone just for android. It has My4, at least it is shown in playstore

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.channel4.ondemand

profile.country.GB.title
TobiasRieper315

You can't king.  On the Sony Bravia TV Android system, the All4 App can only be watched via Youview. (Explained above).

I tried the Google Play Store and you cannot get the All4 App, as it is already featured but only on Youview.

20170318_202235012_iOS.jpg

20170318_202542250_iOS.jpg