Join now - be part of our community!

Connection advice for Smart TV

profile.country.GB.title
redrobo
New

Connection advice for Smart TV

I need advice on how to connect a BT TV box and BluRay Recordable DVD to a new Sony Smart TV.

Will HDMI cables from one to the other suffice?

I assume that I connect the TV Box to an aerial connection with connection to the others simply by use of HDMI.

Thanks

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@redrobo 

Ii would be useful to know the model number or name of the BT TV box, Pro or not. Also, if Pro, if you plan to run it in aerial mode or in IP mode to get broadcast programmes. I am also assuming it is a box that can record; please let me know if  it is only a non-recording one. (Which is not the same as Pro/Non-Pro).

Not Pro, can record:

Aerial cable from the wall socket to Aerial In on the box.
Ethernet cable from router to Ethernet In on the box.
HDMI cable from box to, say, HDMI 1 on the TV.

Pro, can record:

Aerial cable from the wall socket to Aerial In on the box, if you are running it in Aerial mode. Not needed in IP mode.
Ethernet cable from router to Ethernet In on the box, if you are running it wired. Not needed if you are running it over WiFi.

HDMI cable from box to, say, HDMI 1 on the TV.

What is the make and model of the BluRay Recordable DVD device? What can It record from? I am assuming only from an aerial, but I need to know if it can do more than that or not.

So this needs to go in the aerial chain, with a male/female aerial cable from the Aerial Out on the BT TV box to the Aerial In on the BluRay recorder, unless the BT TV box is in IP mode, in which case the BluRay will take its aerial cable direct from the wall socket.

And an HDMI cable from the BluRay to, say, HDMI 2 on the TV.

I would also suggest a male/female aerial cable from the BluRay Aerial Out to the Aerial In on the TV, so you can use the TV tuner to watch programmes when you want to, using the TV remote for simplicity and convenience. But this is optional here.

If the aerial chain goes through the BT TV box, you need to look in Settings for RF Passthrough, possibly called RF Loopthrough, and ensure it is turned on. This will ensure the aerial signal is passed on even if the BT TV box is in Standby. The signal will not be passed through if the BT TV box is turned right Off, so avoid doing this wherever possible.

Similar considerations will apply to the BluRay device, but without knowing what it is, I can’t tell if it has RF Passthrough turned on at all times, or a setting similar to the BT box one.

If you can gives a bit more information, as requested above, about what devices these are, and how you intend to use them, I can simplify the above instructions a bit.

For example, the BluRay can record, but so can the BT TV box, most likely. So will you actually need both to record?

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…