Join now - be part of our community!

Continuing remote control issues

profile.country.GB.title
Batemansxxxb
Explorer

Continuing remote control issues

Sony kdl 50w805c.

The remote control still continues to be unresponsive intermittently when powering up from standby,some days it powers up first time & may continue to do so for a few days or a couple of weeks,then it'll just become unresponsive again,sometimes it take 3 or 4 presses of the power button,the worst I've had was when I gave up after 15 times & rebooted the tv by pulling the power cord out of the back of the tv,which wasn't the first & I know won't be the last time,I rang John Lewis tech support in Nov or Dec last year,they sent a local tv engineer out,the tv worked ok that day,but the very next day the problem reoccurred, going to ring JL again next week,I'm sick of the problems,sad thing is though I love the picture quality so much,shame Sony don't seem to care

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Yes you do seem to be having more than your fair share of remote control issues - im wondering if you have a more underlining problem, maybe an intermittent hardware fault under certain conditions (ir receiver?) Continue with JL support.

Have you checked the remote for 'stuck' buttons by any chance?

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

There's an ongoing problem with plasma TVs and YouView boxes where the remote is similarly unresponsive.

Although your situation involves neither, it turns out there are quite a range of things that can throw off a remote - or more exactly, throw off the TV from 'seeing' the remote - as described in this BT Forum posting by a Mod there.

It would be well worth you having a look to see if any of the things described there could be present in your environment, and so be implicated.

Another useful thing to try, if you suspect the problem might be the remote intermittently not sending, rather than the TV intermittently not receiving, is to look at the sender on the remote through the camera on a smartphone or tablet, or possibly even a real camera, where you will be able to see if it is not flickering when it should be.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

You may want to check also the setting in power-->echo-->Idle TV standby

It is not clear enough but this option should rule the switching from standby mode to a deeper sleeping mode after an interval of hours. Resuming from this deep standby is harder for the TV, so switching it off can make the switching on of the tv faster and your remote responding easily...

Ok it will also consume some more power

profile.country.GB.title
Batemansxxxb
Explorer

Sorry for the late reply,there aren't any stuck buttons,but thanks for taking the time to reply & the suggestion to check the remote,I'll have a look at the other suggestion of the webpage to check out,the last one on checking power settings sounds a bit too technical for me,but thanks to all that responded & I'll keep you posted when I get round to calling  John Lewis again

profile.country.GB.title
Batemansxxxb
Explorer

Thanks, I've llooked at this eco setting & both power saving & idle tv standby are set to the off position