Join now - be part of our community!

DD+ ARC audio worse than audio from HDMI device (PS4)?

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

DD+ ARC audio worse than audio from HDMI device (PS4)?

I have the (strong) feeling that when playing DD+ 5.1 content from apps like Netflix and Amazon Video (used for testing since they are available in both the TV and PS4), both using DD+ 5.1, the audio from the TV via HDMI ARC is quite more metallic, "dry" (and a bit scratchy) than the audio I get from the PS4 connected directly to the AVR.

The PS4 is using the PCM 7.1 decoder (although my AVR only has 5.1 speakers). No Bitstream Dolby nor DTS, so it should be decoded losslessly.

Is it possible that the TV compresses/modifies the audio stream? Or is it just my imagination?

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Mick_D

Hi Jecht

It's cetainly possible that the two devices decode files differently, just as it's also likely that they have different 'sounds'. Audiophiles often refer to high-end audio gear in these terms and the more dedicated a device (the more it is specifically designed to reproduce quality audio) the better that 'sound' will be.

You don't mention which one you have but it is true that many TVs aren't so hot at decoding ARC signals, and it's possible your PS4 is simply better at it. 

Perhaps someone else could offer an opinion. In the meantime, if you could let us know the TV model it may be possible to get to the bottom of the issue.

Cheers

Mick_D

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Yes, sorry. The TV is a KD-49XD8099, with Android 7.0, updated Oct. 25 with the latest firmware. The audio via ARC just has this "scratchy" feeling, more evident with the "dialogue enhancer" active in the AVR (max level 3 for both TV and PS4 audio input).

I have asked a similar question in the past, but about the old home theatre I had with analogue stereo input. The HT was getting the audio signal from the PS4 as return audio via optical (the converted to analogue with a converter).  In that case the difference was like night and day (much better from the PS4).

I thought that via HDMI, being the audio stream identical (DD+ 5.1 for both the TV and PS4 apps. Or at least I suppose so. I should check it better in the Netflix info when playing via PS4), the resulting sound was supposed to be the same. Even if the PS4 does the decompression and not the receiver.