Join now - be part of our community!

Decoded Video Disappearing on Resolution Change with KD-55XE9305 v6.2858 and Netflix

profile.country.GB.title
Educated_Pork

Decoded Video Disappearing on Resolution Change with KD-55XE9305 v6.2858 and Netflix

Hi,

Since updating my 55XE9305 to the latest v62.2858 firmware, I'm encountering an issue where Netflix  (30th March 2018 build on the TV) has problems displaying decoded video output after a resolution change. Other visible data overlaid on the decoded output (volume bar, rating in top-left, stream information from pressing [I+] on remote) continues to render/display as normal.

My partner originally reported the issue to me while wanting to watch this week's episode of "Ru Paul's Drag Race" (S10E04 - it's HD, but not HDR), and I was able to consistently reproduce the issue with this (and other) particular piece of video content. It plays back fine, but as soon as the resolution of the stream changes... no decoded video output.

The stream starts playing normally, but at the precise time that an adaptive resolution change kicks in (eg: changing resolution from 720p to 1080p - as shown in the stream information text from [I+]), the decoded video goes blank - leaving only Netflix overlay rendering. I should stress that audio continues without any issue at all.

This does not happen with all streams - for example I've not seen this with 4K/HDR ones. So I was able to watch an episode of Chef's Table (Volume 4, Episode 1) in 4K with Dolby Vision without any issues at all - even though I could see the adaptive resolution change.

I've also observed this problem for some streams where there's been a reduction in resolution due to bandwidth (eg: 720p to 420p). So the key part seems to be the *change* in resolution.

The build of Netflix on the TV has been unchanged since 30th March. Prior to the new firmware being on the TV (Friday 6th April), there were no issues relating to Netflix playback. As soon as the new firmware was on the TV, this problem became apparent.. so it points towards a problem with the v6.2858 fiemware

I've deleted all cached data from the TV related to Netflix and set it up again, but no change.

I've reset the TV to factory defaults and configured everything from scratch (inc. Netflix) but no change.

I'm able to play streams without difficulty on other devices at home (PS4 Pro, iPad, iPhone, Laptop).

If anyone running the latest firmware can try the "Ru Paul" episode (S10E04) I mentioned above, and report back whether the problem occurs for them, that may be useful?

Thanks,

Dean

13 REPLIES 13
profile.country.GB.title
Mick_D

Hi Dean

It's possible this is an issue with Netflix combined with the new update which will eventually resolve itself. I'll check this out for you to see if there is any ongoing work there and get back to you.

Cheers

Mick

profile.country.GB.title
Educated_Pork

Hi Mick,

Thanks, that's appreciated. As additional verification, I've performed the following checks too:

* Connected to internet via Ethernet cable

* Connected to internet via different WiFi network (normally I'm on 802.11ac.. so checked 802.11g).

* Uninstalled latest Netflix update (5.1.3 Build 2039, March 30th), and verified that problem still occurs.

If there's any additional information required, please don't hesitate to ask (either here, or if you're a Sony employee directly on my Sony email address - which is associated with my site registration).

Cheers,
Dean

p.s. I'd still be really grateful if someone out there could quickly try the described repro stream in their environment.. thanks!

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Hi Dean, yes I can confirm indeed that the issue is not related to you in particular. Have been able to reproduce the same results with the exact same title (not even necessarily the episode you mention but all from that title) on a number of other A1’s and all exhibited the same. 

The best to do at this point is to escalate this with Netflix directly as there might be a series of other titles which display the same issue. I can not for sure relate the problem with the latest March update by Sony because I haven’t been able to test that on a device with the previous firmware yet. 

profile.country.GB.title
Educated_Pork

Hi Dutchice,

Thank you for confirming that this isn't just a problem local to my settings/hardware.. it's really appreciated!

While Mick_D is reaching out for comment from the Sony side of things, I'll do as you suggest and contact Netflix to see what they say.

Many thanks!

Dean

profile.country.GB.title
Educated_Pork

Note that unfortunately there's no email/webform support for Netflix (either in the UK or US), so I've taken the issue to Twitter for the moment - I don't have the patience to spend a long time discussing with phone/live chat support (nor do I trust that it'll be reported/forwarded to the right people), so have summarised my report there and given them a link to this particular message topic.

Dean

profile.country.GB.title
Educated_Pork

So, the word from Netflix is that - as this is on a Smart TV, and it only appeared when updating the TV to the v6.2858 firmweare - this issue needs to be dealt with by the device manufacturer.

Reading between the lines, I'm interpreting as "Sony's broken something in their firmware, so go hassle them about it".

Hopefully the detail I've posted earlier in this thread has been reported to those working in this area, and will allow for the issue to be identified and resolved. I'm happy it's reproducible by others, as that reduces the likelihood of it being stupidity on my part.

If any additional testing on a fix is required, I'd be happy to help. As mentioned earlier Sony staff can contact me on my Sony email address if this is something that would be useful.

Cheers,
Dean

profile.country.GB.title
simonbruce82
Explorer

Hi Mick D, 

As you will see over on my topic here https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/android-tv/af8-black-screen-with-sound-when-streaming-netflix-and-yo... I am having the same issues.

Were you able to check whether Sony might looking into this? Just want to escalate this as quickly as possible to get a resolution.

Regards,

Simon

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Hi simonbruce82,

As far as I am aware Netflix addressed this bug already with app version 5.3.0 build 2189. The current Netflix app version is even newer than this. So try updating your Netflix app to the newest version and check again if the issue persists. If you still have the issue, post here the Netflix title with which you still have the issue, your Netflix app version and your TV firmware revision and TV model.

Cheers,

Dutchice

[Edit: See updated information on this post]

profile.country.GB.title
simonbruce82
Explorer

Neflix claim this is a device issue and not a problem with their app.

I'm on the newest version of everything.

I can recreate the issue without fail, every time by watching the following:

Penn & Teller: Fool Us (any episode in season 2)

Netflix app version: V5.4.1 build 2266

TV firmware: PKG6.5603.0175EUA

Stranegly season 1 episodes are fine, but random YouTube videos also have the same problem.

It's a very strange issue seeing as I can watch some YouTube and Netflix in 4K HDR with no niccups whatsoever.