Join now - be part of our community!

Decoded Video Disappearing on Resolution Change with KD-55XE9305 v6.2858 and Netflix

profile.country.GB.title
Educated_Pork

Decoded Video Disappearing on Resolution Change with KD-55XE9305 v6.2858 and Netflix

Hi,

Since updating my 55XE9305 to the latest v62.2858 firmware, I'm encountering an issue where Netflix  (30th March 2018 build on the TV) has problems displaying decoded video output after a resolution change. Other visible data overlaid on the decoded output (volume bar, rating in top-left, stream information from pressing [I+] on remote) continues to render/display as normal.

My partner originally reported the issue to me while wanting to watch this week's episode of "Ru Paul's Drag Race" (S10E04 - it's HD, but not HDR), and I was able to consistently reproduce the issue with this (and other) particular piece of video content. It plays back fine, but as soon as the resolution of the stream changes... no decoded video output.

The stream starts playing normally, but at the precise time that an adaptive resolution change kicks in (eg: changing resolution from 720p to 1080p - as shown in the stream information text from [I+]), the decoded video goes blank - leaving only Netflix overlay rendering. I should stress that audio continues without any issue at all.

This does not happen with all streams - for example I've not seen this with 4K/HDR ones. So I was able to watch an episode of Chef's Table (Volume 4, Episode 1) in 4K with Dolby Vision without any issues at all - even though I could see the adaptive resolution change.

I've also observed this problem for some streams where there's been a reduction in resolution due to bandwidth (eg: 720p to 420p). So the key part seems to be the *change* in resolution.

The build of Netflix on the TV has been unchanged since 30th March. Prior to the new firmware being on the TV (Friday 6th April), there were no issues relating to Netflix playback. As soon as the new firmware was on the TV, this problem became apparent.. so it points towards a problem with the v6.2858 fiemware

I've deleted all cached data from the TV related to Netflix and set it up again, but no change.

I've reset the TV to factory defaults and configured everything from scratch (inc. Netflix) but no change.

I'm able to play streams without difficulty on other devices at home (PS4 Pro, iPad, iPhone, Laptop).

If anyone running the latest firmware can try the "Ru Paul" episode (S10E04) I mentioned above, and report back whether the problem occurs for them, that may be useful?

Thanks,

Dean

13 REPLIES 13
profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Hi Simon,

Thank you for posting the info. It seems indeed that the issue is not rectified yet. I can't tell whether the Netflix app or the Sony AndroidTV firmware is at fault, because I don't have enough information yet.

However what I would suggest as a workaround for the time being is to:

1. Start the playback of the problematic titles, then press the INFO button [i+] to the left the 0 keypad on the remote.You can now see playback resolution and bitrate information on the top left corner of your screen.
  2. Wait until the max resolution (1080p) at max bitrate (5-7 mbps) is achieved.
  3. Note the timestamp, then wait for about 30 seconds.
  4. Stop the playback.
  5. Restart the playback. After resuming, the playback should start already at max resolution (1080p).

The workaround above, is not a solution but a temporary workaround for the black screen problem while the issue is investigated further.

Hope that helps,

Dutchice

profile.country.GB.title
simonbruce82
Explorer

Appreciate the response and the suggestion, but unfortunately even after leaving for a minute at 1080, stopping and restarting took me back to 720 and then it went black as it changed to 1080.

Have dialogue open with Sony support on email and they have detailed info from me, so hopefully they can pinpoint and address this issue.

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Is your TV connected over WiFi? These type of resolution downkicks are not that common unless there is a throughput issue.

In any case, the black screen issue luckily affects only a limited number of titles on Netflix. So you still can enjoy most of the titles while the investigation leads to a fix. 

profile.country.GB.title
simonbruce82
Explorer

My internet is WiFi. The video goes black when the resolution switches up so it’s not suffering a loss of bandwidth.

Will see what happens. I’m going round in circles with Sony’s support people via email.