Join now - be part of our community!

Dimming issue after PKG6.2858.0082 software update.

profile.country.GB.title
jirober52

Dimming issue after PKG6.2858.0082 software update.

Since the PKG6.2858 update I have a dimming issue with my Sony A1. The picture pre update was stunning, however since the update I am experiencing varying levels of brightness which has completely ruined ths set for me. Colours are lacklustre and mostly dim, a factory reset has failed to rectify the problem. It seems that a number of owners on the AVSForums are experiencing similar problems. Only hope that Sony bring out a fix but not holding my breath.

183 REPLIES 183
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

I can't believe the way Sony is acting in this case. An issue as severe as this one has to be fixed within days. It completely ruins the experience. What's the point in buying such a TV if it behaves like that? That just can't be within specification. If that was the publicly communicated specification from the beginning, nobody would have bought one...

profile.country.GB.title
alistairgd66

You guys really have to hit Sony where it hurts - negative publicity. Get on to Watchdog, they'd love a story like this - it's topical and it shows an apparent lack of action from a major player on a flagship product.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mg74/contact

profile.country.GB.title
kordwangler
Explorer

Sony statement regarding Firmware update to v6.5603  (published on the Sony support site )  

IMPORTANT:
We would like to inform you that we’ve decided to temporarily delay the rollout of the below announced firmware update. Our engineers are still fine-tuning the firmware to ensure the best possible experience with the new release. We will update this article with a new update schedule as soon as possible. For the latest developments, we recommend bookmarking this page. Alternatively, you can add your model to the Support by Sony mobile app to receive an instant product notification. We'd like to thank you for your understanding and patience.(Added on 21-06-2018)

I wonder why this update that

"Resolves an issue where the brightness decreases every time HDR content is played"

has now been withdrawn....

profile.country.GB.title
Scramz

Maybe because it's more than just HDR content. Any screen with static sports is present.

profile.country.CZ.title
mmhorda

Because with that update TV none stop turning off by itself :wink:

profile.country.GB.title
jirober52

Please refer to Kyletto's previous posting on this issue.

"I'm currently awaiting a reply from Sony off of the back of our most recent correspondence, but an interesting update is that the firmware update from May 24th was intended to hopefully resolve the issue. I know there's been some confusion as to whether or not the details of that update were referring to a different issue, but from the correspondence, no - it seems they software development team were hoping this would sort the problem out".

The v6.5603 FW was apparently intended for not only the HDR content but the issue as a whole. Let us hope that there is some positivity in today's announcment and the further fine tuning will finally bring a resolution. 

profile.country.GB.title
Scramz

Only a few models were affected by this, most was ok to download. 

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

The v6.5603 FW was apparently intended for not only the HDR content but the issue as a whole. Let us hope that there is some positivity in today's announcment and the further fine tuning will finally bring a resolution. 

That's just a standard phrase. They use it every time the f up an update. Not the first time...

profile.country.GB.title
kordwangler
Explorer

Now this is weird.  Yesterday morning (June 20th) I turn on my A1 TV and find that its lost the Bravia sync with my Sony 1080 A/V receiver - it should have turned on the receiver when the TV turned on.  I unplugged TV and A/V and powered them up again and that re-booted the TV and also re-established the link.  What flashed through my mind was that the TV Bravia sync got screwed maybe because it had an overnight update - but I put that down to wishful thinking.

However, during the day I watched the world cup in HD and also in UHD with HDR via iplayer and didn't notice any dimming (?).

Then today, weird number 2 - Sony postpone their V6.5603 firmware update rollout (which I already downloaded).  And I've just watched a perfect picture in UHD and HDR via the iplayer of Croatia and Argentina in the world cup with no dimming and perfect HDR (hopefully the BBC are tweaking their HDR signal).  Is this wishful thinking on my part?  Am I seeing what I want to see rather than whats being displayed?  Anyone else noticed any change? 

profile.country.US.title
caitsith01

A couple of things -

First just to point out again that this issue is not limited to HDR.  It can affect SD, non-HDR broadcast TV.

Second, to say that as an Australian the fact that you guys get 4k, HDR streaming of sport makes me very depressed about our backwoods, third rate internet and television situation!

Third, to say that I'm quietly hopeful based on that Sony statement that they know they really need to fix this.