Join now - be part of our community!

Dimming issue after PKG6.2858.0082 software update.

profile.country.GB.title
jirober52

Dimming issue after PKG6.2858.0082 software update.

Since the PKG6.2858 update I have a dimming issue with my Sony A1. The picture pre update was stunning, however since the update I am experiencing varying levels of brightness which has completely ruined ths set for me. Colours are lacklustre and mostly dim, a factory reset has failed to rectify the problem. It seems that a number of owners on the AVSForums are experiencing similar problems. Only hope that Sony bring out a fix but not holding my breath.

183 REPLIES 183
profile.country.CH.title
MaverickZH

Hi dutchice,

thanks for your reply. Yes, I know that you answered these questions. That's why I asked if you are a Sony employee. This in the meaning to ask if your answer are official Sony answers or your personal opinion.

As other users here I am really surprised to hear that Sony has been aware and at work on the issue from the very start. As far as I know almost all users who contacted Sony directly received the answer that the TV is within specifications. Being within specifications is a big difference to having an issue. It wasn't until the press wrote about this topic that Sony finally (kind of) publically acknowledges the issue. But even today there is no official statement from Sony.

As a very good and loyal Sony client I am really disappointed. I know that bugs can happen. But at least I (as many others) would have expected that Sony from day one acknowledges the issue and promises to fix it. Because of this dimming issue (which I still don't know if it will really get fixed in a proper way) and also the issues with Motionflow (which I never got on an equal level than thr 52HX900 no matter what configuration I choose) I am really thinking about buying another brand next time. That's something that seemed to be impossible to me before buying the A1 .

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

@MaverickZH  schrieb:
As other users here I am really surprised to hear that Sony has been aware and at work on the issue from the very start.

You really believe that support bla bla? Sony is totally ignorant with respect to user issues. They do nothing unless pressure gets too high. What @dutchice writes sounds like a total joke to people who have been part of the game for quite some time already.

profile.country.GB.title
Barcabod

So the new TV turned up this afternoon.

I have been installing my apps all over again since it arrived.

The TV was replaced by Sony and not John Lewis, which has got me thinking that maybe this is a brand new TV with a different algorithm( dont shoot me I am not that tech savvy) and Sony are using me as a guinnea pig.

The engineer told me that there are not too many people with the A1 he said he thought it was because of the price, so that is why I'm wondering if this is just a tester to see if the problem is solved with a new TV

First impressions

The software version out of the box was PKG6.2858.0082. When installing the TV asked to install an update. I asked the engineer what should I do , he said to definately to update it.

The firmware that was downloaded was number PKG6 5603 0175EUA 

The TV started on Standard picture setting, with luminance set to medium, brightness and contrast were set to maximum. I have turned the brightness down to 39 and left the contast as it was pre set.

I have just settled down to watch the football and I am hoping to enjoy a game without dimming.

Hopefully this TV has the new firmware even though it has not been released yet?

I wonder why it let me download an update when the website is still saying no update is available yet.

Anyhow here hoping

I will update with my findings over the next few days

profile.country.IE.title
flashf1
Explorer

So you just downloaded the same problem software!!! There will be no difference. Need to wait for I’d say 4-8 weeks for new firmware that will supposedly address the issue

profile.country.GB.title
Barcabod

My pevious software was PKG6.2858.0082 and the new firmware update was cancelled.

So how come the TV updated to a firmware version I have not seen before?

Like I said not very tech savvy.

I will watch the fotball and see if the problem is still there and post back my findings.

4 to 8 weeks you think , I've been waiting since May to get the problem sorted.So I will take the new TV and the new to me update and see how it goes.

profile.country.GB.title
Barcabod

How did the TV download the update that has been cancelled?

Is it possible that Sony are starting to let the firmware be downloaded on new TVs to se if the firmware has been fixed(just a thought)

profile.country.IE.title
flashf1
Explorer

I got the 65AF8 in May and the firmware 6.2858 was preloaded and dimmed with football, horrible. After a few weeks or so the new software was released (the one you now have) and all it did was add Dolby vision, it neither made the dimming better or worse, only added Dolby vision. This software is still freely available.

profile.country.GB.title
Barcabod

Where Is the software available?

The TV downloaded the software I didnt download it from anywhere and  install it.

The update was shelved in June

I just think its weird that an update that was supposedly cancelled has installed on a brand new TV this afternoon.

Maybe I'm clutching at straws but it just seems funny the TV performed an  update when the actual update on the Sony site has been pulled.

Someone far more up with these things may well provide the answer.

Anyhow with the picture setting in Standard with luminance on medium, brightness on 39 and contrast on max the football tonight is a little duller than I would like but it seems to me

that it does not dim as much, maybe thats just me I have swapped and changed settings so much in the past few months I don't think I know what a good picture is now ha ha 

profile.country.GB.title
Barcabod

Flash

Can I ask what picture settings you have your tv on.

I have tried for months to get a sweet spot whereby I could watch the football.

Usually I stuck with custom mode,  high luminance,brightness on 36 and contrast on 90

Most of the other settings set to off.

When I got the new TV today I decided to stick with the out of the box settings and just tweaked the brightness.I will no doubt change these settings thousands of times ,but I am getting weary with the messing about.

I do hope you are right regarding the new software fixing the problem.

profile.country.US.title
caitsith01

Well, the recent exchanges on this thread really sum up Sony's approach to this.

Someone seeming to have semi-official information shows up and makes vague statements about Sony addressing the problem.  A number of us ask reasonable questions, and that person promptly disappears.  We are still left with no answers about:

1. Why Sony was telling us something different earlier but now apparently admits there's a problem.

2. When a fix will be available.

I am still at a total loss to see how a major multinational corporation can run its affairs in this way.