Join now - be part of our community!

Dimming issue after PKG6.2858.0082 software update.

profile.country.GB.title
jirober52

Dimming issue after PKG6.2858.0082 software update.

Since the PKG6.2858 update I have a dimming issue with my Sony A1. The picture pre update was stunning, however since the update I am experiencing varying levels of brightness which has completely ruined ths set for me. Colours are lacklustre and mostly dim, a factory reset has failed to rectify the problem. It seems that a number of owners on the AVSForums are experiencing similar problems. Only hope that Sony bring out a fix but not holding my breath.

183 REPLIES 183
profile.country.GB.title
wraith_9
Explorer

Hi guys,

Long time reader of this thread as I too suffer from the dimming issue introduced with v6.2858 back in March.

I just wrote a really long post and it's somehow mysteriously disappeared. The short version: Sony released updated firmware this morning - I tested and the dimming issues still persist. The algorithm seems to have been changed a little and is slower to engage, but unfortunately the dimming still takes place.

The core issue has still not been resolved. It's not a case of how much the screen dims (as seemingly changed in today's update), but rather a case of when (which has not changed). Static content, however small, still engages the dimming as of v6.5629 - two updates and 6 months since the issue first appeared.

I've been waiting 6 months for this fix and it's still not here. Seriously considering returning my set after this debacle.

profile.country.GB.title
Fraz57

Absolutely disgusted to report that the update does not fix the issue. I also tried a factory re set.

How disgusting that Sony are treating us with utter disrespect with regard to this long suffering issue.

In terms of the update the first "fix" reads 

"Improves picture brightness in a specific set of circumstances" 

This is clearly not the case so why are they trying to mislead us and what now?

I have raised a complaint with Sony today requesting a repair. I now cannot stand the sight of the OLED, a TV I was absoluely crazy about before they botched things up.

I bought mine from Currys and have been palmed off by them and told to contact Sony direct because it`s a software issue. I may also contact Consumer Advice.

profile.country.AU.title
kompressor69
Explorer

No surpise at all 😞

Very dissapointed in Sony 

profile.country.GB.title
joseph.68
Explorer

Sorry but here we are doing disinformation ...

in Europe, in this Italian community of Audio and Video fans, we are collecting opinions from users after the firmware update to version 6.5629 (September 5, 2018) and from what we read it seems that the problem has been solved, both in the watching of Video Film/sport, and in the watching of Game.

Now, it would be understandable in which mode/setting watch your TV

LINK - Italian community of Audio and Video enthusiasts

profile.country.GB.title
Fraz57

Hi
What do you mean "disinformation?"If yours is fixed good but please don`t accuse me of such nonsense.

The problem has not been solved! I am watching the England / Spain football match and the picture is absolutely disgracefuful.

Re the users you refer too, we have no idea what settings they are using.
Perhaps they prefer to have a dull, dark picture, I don`t.

My preferences are as follows- Programme Mode - Vivid, Advanced Contrast
Enhancer - High, Peak Luminance - High.

The reason I bought the TV is that I was swayed by the superb, bright and detailed picture using these
settings. However, now, the OLED is ruining my experience as during a
match, I keep trying to find ways to minimise the disruption but nothing
works. It is so frustrating and annoying but Sony cannot just ignore our
complaints.

profile.country.DK.title
OhForTheLoveOfGod
Explorer

I can't believe you can continue to ***** up those updates Sony.

After the latest one 6.5629 I have very visible and large dark border on my A1.

So what are you gonna do now?...do I have to wait 6 months for another update that will break something else?

IMG_0111.jpg

profile.country.PL.title
topietr27

hi, after many tests with v6.5629 update, I will say briefly! *****! I'm fed up with it, some of you say that the problem has been solved, unfortunately not with me. It will be time for the next generation of consoles and bet on LG and XBOX. Thank you Sony for such a pathetic approach to the customer. Greetings from Poland

profile.country.GB.title
Itstonyb

Hi .This is actually a known LG panel problem (the border)  that affects some of the panels.

Rtings covered it and the TV manufacturer of replace it. LG are at least but I imagine with it being a known fault you should be good contacting Sony.

Here is a video showing it that you should probably send them

https://youtu.be/nX0AXzWm2cI

profile.country.PL.title
topietr27

Hello ! the same problem appeared to me. I informed the support on Wednesday I was informed that the service will call within 24 hours. to this day, silence. A small note to people who claim that the problem with dimming has been solved. Last talk about Spiderman and RDR2. in Spiderman HUD is transparent and in RDR2 it is often dimmed. I recommend running FIFA19 and see if the problem is actually solved? NO PROBLEM IS NOT SOLVED. Shame ! SONY SHAME !

profile.country.US.title
peronmls
Explorer

Same! My screen dims for games that have a hud on it. I’m calling Sony tech support to tell them about everyone’s issue with the A1. Horrible. 3000+ dollars for a crappy tv!