Join now - be part of our community!

DISAPPOINTED KD65X930C - SLOW MENU

black_is200
Explorer

DISAPPOINTED KD65X930C - SLOW MENU

I must say being a SONY fan, i'l left a little disapointed with this set. Classed the best of the best, is not quite right. The set has everything going for it and its let down by a poor,poor menu system. Its cumbersum and extremly slow!!.. Is there a fix for it?

17 REPLIES 17
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Prior20 schrieb:

@Quinnicus

i agree there has been a marginal increase in response, however even if the speed was doubled its still pales in comparison to any other TV.

Ive had mine replaced 3 times now and im on a 2017 model, the speed is better than my previous but still way way below par.  put this together with Youview not recording, no programme reminders, still waiting 30 secs after initial switch on to change a channel, BBC IPlayer HLG / Blue planet, Netflix issues, Amazon issues, wifi issues, volume bar issues, passthrough issues, bandwitdh drop, bluetooth issues, lack of profile backup, random TV restarts, poor drivers, poor hardware, 2015 TVs sold as 2016 models, botched firmware releases, botched bug releases, no timeshift & astounding lack of support or communication etc... etc... is it any wonder people have had enough of the so called "Premium" Sony brand.

As others have said this will be my last Sony TV purchase.

Totally agree!

@Anonymous is not around anymore. Probably got tired of Sony as well.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

I appreciate when the critics to products are well described and documented not when there is a completely undescribed list of claims and the final judgment that all other brands are far better. Starting from a comment of someone who claim Philips makes  better tvs while it relys on the very same android tv and soc with a badly implemented Philips overlay. 

- youview is a unique add-on feature to Sony tv. Disable it and you'll get what you can with any other brands connecting a youview box. Including your tv pvr features enabled.

- unlike other tv platform (including the acclaimed tizen) android tv start is almost instantaneous being that by design it doesn't shutdown. Where did you take your 30 sec measurement?

- BBC hlg issue I cannot comment since I do not live in UK

- Netflix . Do not know any issue about the app

- Amazon app is poor implemented. By Amazon. It should be replaced in next fw update. But it works.

- Wi-Fi issue? Which Wi-Fi issue?

- pass through issue? Which pass through issue?

- bt issue? Which? And what do you expect to do with bt?

- bandwidth drop? When? Doing what?

- lack of profile backup: it a wish that I can understand but which brand you can enumerate that can backup the profile?

- poor drivers for doing what? It is not a pc

- poor hardware: I can agree soc not the best on the tech world...but exactly what you can't do with it? And you consider the soc being the hw of the tv?!?

- random restart ? How many? Doing what?

You are obviously free to choose any brand for your next tv but have a look please to official/unofficial forum of Samsung Philips Panasonic LG.. and see if you find any comment really similar to yours

profile.country.GB.title
Prior20

- youview is a unique add-on feature to Sony tv. Disable it and you'll get what you can with any other brands connecting a youview box. Including your tv pvr features enabled.

Disable it and you are unable to access any of UK catchup services, so you get to pick a feature, record or catchup

- unlike other tv platform (including the acclaimed tizen) android tv start is almost instantaneous being that by design it doesn't shutdown. Where did you take your 30 sec measurement?

I took it from when i wake up turn on the tv and sit waiting to change the channel (this is with youview enabled)

Well there was a statement to say it would be supported, then it was removed from sony pages.

Netflix stopped working after updates more than once

- Amazon app is poor implemented. By Amazon. It should be replaced in next fw update. But it works.

Its been shocking from the start, bad audio sync, bad jerking, not playing content first time - funny this happens on no other device other than the TV

The your tv is not connected to the internet every 5 mins, lots of this and other wifi issues (not connecting at all, forgetting connection, bandwidth slowdown.

Audio Passthrough, lipsync or simply no sound with certain standards

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/android-tv/how-to-connect-my-non-sony-bluetooth-headphones/m-p/22149...

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/android-tv/bug-android-7-0-wifi-connection-drastically-dropping-band...

- lack of profile backup: it a wish that I can understand but which brand you can enumerate that can backup the profile? 

Which brand requires so many factory resets it needs the feature, most other android devices offer the feature

well dependant on how you look at it, it has an OS that requires drivers network card, display, sound etc.. all have shown poor performance in sony (mediatek i belive supply these)

- poor hardware: I can agree soc not the best on the tech world...but exactly what you can't do with it? And you consider the soc being the hw of the tv?!?

If the hardware is great why is th TV and all aspects slow ?

oh this could be doing anything, in fairness the new model is much better but the 2016 model i had would restart 5 times a day easily, others report this 

You are obviously free to choose any brand for your next tv but have a look please to official/unofficial forum of Samsung Philips Panasonic LG.. and see if you find any comment really similar to yours

agreed all have issues, but sony seems to struggle with some real basics.. i mean no programme reminders ? are we in 1932???

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Prior20 ha scritto:

Disable it and you are unable to access any of UK catchup services, so you get to pick a feature, record or catchup

Why you don't blame broadcaster for not issueing an Android TV app outside the Youview feature? It's a standard platform not in Sony control. In Italy we have the case of Sky that has commercial agreement with Samsung and is not delivering an app for Android, still you can use it via chromecast feature of the smartphone app: why in UK they are not doing this? BTW why you need to record programme if you have already 8 days back to view older program

I took it from when i wake up turn on the tv and sit waiting to change the channel (this is with youview enabled)

Cannot state with youview enabled, with standard DBVT it take 3 seconds on my KD55A1 to switch the tv on and change channel. I'm thinking about realizing a video on the performance of my tv in 'cause I'm bored about a general statement about Android TV to be so slow...

Well there was a statement to say it would be supported, then it was removed from sony pages.

My understanding is that it is not still know who is messing with HLG: BBC iplayer on AndroidTV or Sony...

Never ever happening on my tv, Netflix is working like a charm in 4K HDR, waiting to see with DV

Its been shocking from the start, bad audio sync, bad jerking, not playing content first time - funny this happens on no other device other than the TV

Again the app is an Amazon one, it's slow, doens't start correctly on the first video, but than the quality is amazing (i.e. Grandtour)

The your tv is not connected to the internet every 5 mins, lots of this and other wifi issues (not connecting at all, forgetting connection, bandwidth slowdown.

I do not use wifi because is unstable by definition (TPLINK powerlink instead). Never ever had an issue with the connection

I've an HTCT350 connected to my tv. Never ever had problems in passing the supported audio codec (DD, DTS), and never ever had lipsync if the source do not have it (i.e. some youtube video)

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/android-tv/how-to-connect-my-non-sony-bluetooth-headphones/m-p/22149...

So you do not have an A2DP enabled TV, and if was never advertized, what do you are looking for? My A1 is enabled and it works (still a bug on enabling internal speaker together with the headphone, but in my setup is working fine)

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/android-tv/bug-android-7-0-wifi-connection-drastically-dropping-band...

You are point to a post raised by an Italian user with which I discuss a lot, nut it is clearly signed as solved by a reset. So which is the problem?

Which brand requires so many factory resets it needs the feature, most other android devices offer the feature

Any. Just look at Samsung, Panasonic, LG site: first standard answer with "strange" problem "do a reset!". Never had the need to reset my own A1 in 4 months. Done it once on my previous XD83. And remember it is still a TV not a tablet, so not anything that apply to a tablet/smartphone is so easy on a TV.

well dependant on how you look at it, it has an OS that requires drivers network card, display, sound etc.. all have shown poor performance in sony (mediatek i belive supply these)

You are referring on audio passthrough to third party app I guess, so which is the problem? Kodi cannot be installed on any other tv brand. Drivers for standard TV features are working fine on my tv. And Archos (even if Kuschelmonster would say is dangerous) is able to passhtrough multichannel audio to my HT 

You are still thinking at the hardware of the TV as you would for a PC. My idea of HW start for example from the panel, than the video processor X1 Estreme.....And again IT IS NOT SO SLOW!!! I've used recently a Tizen tv that is far slower compared to my A1 (ok mine is a flagship, that one was a J6300 but it is advertized as having the same smart feature than the top ones)

oh this could be doing anything, in fairness the new model is much better but the 2016 model i had would restart 5 times a day easily, others report this 

Ok so you, like me, are not experiencing this problem

agreed all have issues, but sony seems to struggle with some real basics.. i mean no programme reminders ? are we in 1932???

My tv , with no Youview, has programme reminders associated to the standard Guide/recording feature. So I guess it goes to problem #1 Youview features...

Again I think really to realize a video with timing of functionalities (start up time, aerial tv swicthing time, standard app load, video stremaing over internet, DLNA, SMB connection) and hope someone can realize the same on other sets in order to really compare it. I'm not saying Android TV is lightning fast, but works decently and has a lot of potential that other platform canot ever reach. And oh my gosh, the HW of my TV (i still mean the panel and electronics) is really spectacular!!! Have a look at an OLED panel, and you'll forget anything else :wink:

Pleas do not take my comments as a way of defending Sony at all costs, I'm in love with it but I think to be rather fair :wink:

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Prior20 ha scritto:

Why you don't blame broadcaster for not issueing an Android TV app outside the Youview feature? It's a standard platform not in Sony control. In Italy we have the case of Sky that has commercial agreement with Samsung and is not delivering an app for Android, still you can use it via chromecast feature of the smartphone app: why in UK they are not doing this? BTW why you need to record programme if you have already 8 days back to view older program

Cannot state with youview enabled, with standard DBVT it take 3 seconds on my KD55A1 to switch the tv on and change channel. I'm thinking about realizing a video on the performance of my tv in 'cause I'm bored about a general statement about Android TV to be so slow...

My understanding is that it is not still know who is messing with HLG: BBC iplayer on AndroidTV or Sony...

Never ever happening on my tv, Netflix is working like a charm in 4K HDR, waiting to see with DV

Again the app is an Amazon one, it's slow, doens't start correctly on the first video, but than the quality is amazing (i.e. Grandtour)

I do not use wifi because is unstable by definition (TPLINK powerlink instead). Never ever had an issue with the connection

I've an HTCT350 connected to my tv. Never ever had problems in passing the supported audio codec (DD, DTS), and never ever had lipsync if the source do not have it (i.e. some youtube video)

So you do not have an A2DP enabled TV, and if was never advertized, what do you are looking for? My A1 is enabled and it works (still a bug on enabling internal speaker together with the headphone, but in my setup is working fine)

You are point to a post raised by an Italian user with which I discuss a lot, nut it is clearly signed as solved by a reset. So which is the problem?

Any. Just look at Samsung, Panasonic, LG site: first standard answer with "strange" problem "do a reset!". Never had the need to reset my own A1 in 4 months. Done it once on my previous XD83. And remember it is still a TV not a tablet, so not anything that apply to a tablet/smartphone is so easy on a TV.

You are referring on audio passthrough to third party app I guess, so which is the problem? Kodi cannot be installed on any other tv brand. Drivers for standard TV features are working fine on my tv. And Archos (even if Kuschelmonster would say is dangerous) is able to passhtrough multichannel audio to my HT 

You are still thinking at the hardware of the TV as you would for a PC. My idea of HW start for example from the panel, than the video processor X1 Estreme.....And again IT IS NOT SO SLOW!!! I've used recently a Tizen tv that is far slower compared to my A1 (ok mine is a flagship, that one was a J6300 but it is advertized as having the same smart feature than the top ones)

Ok so you, like me, are not experiencing this problem

My tv , with no Youview, has programme reminders associated to the standard Guide/recording feature. So I guess it goes to problem #1 Youview features...

Again I think really to realize a video with timing of functionalities (start up time, aerial tv swicthing time, standard app load, video stremaing over internet, DLNA, SMB connection) and hope someone can realize the same on other sets in order to really compare it. I'm not saying Android TV is lightning fast, but works decently and has a lot of potential that other platform canot ever reach. And oh my gosh, the HW of my TV (i still mean the panel and electronics) is really spectacular!!! Have a look at an OLED panel, and you'll forget anything else :wink:

Please do not take my comments as defending Sony at all costs, I'm in love with it but I think I'm rather fair

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

@rooobb

so...... what you are saying is that we should be happy that embedded stuff work and we should not complain about lack of support for 3rd party stuff on something that is advertized as "smart" platform.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@kinggo01 I'm not telling anyone how to react, I just want you to have a wider view ...

"Smart" by itself do not mean anything. Remaining inside Sony products, FHD tvs have an Opera based store, is called Smart, you cannot add anything apart from what is provided as-is and you cannot still complain to Sony if Netflix is not working because it is developed by Netflix itself... you may just get an answer from them that their app is good but the platform is not...

The same can be told for any other proprietary platform: ask to an LG/Panasonic/Samsung user what they can do if the internal player cannot manage some feature or codec...nothing at all. Video app on Sony has a crap GUI (even if is fantastic in streaming any video) but guess what? I installed Archos that is fantastic and my 9 years old daughter uses only that one accessing what she wants directly on the NAS that she is not even aware what it is...

Now on Android TV you can even write an app by yourself and install on it if you are able to: do you agree that this is a plus?

You can still complain that a 3rd party app is working everywhere else and not on Sony, maybe is still a problem of the soc chosen by Sony, maybe of the API wrote by Sony/Mediatek/Google, but think about your smartphone: what would you do if a 3rd party app is working fine on any Android phone and not on your 1K Iphone X? What do you think Apple is going to answer?

Android TV is still not perfect, you don't have live tv pause, PIP&PAP were better on my 2013 W8A, as it was the Gracenote internet TV guide... but please don't state that it is crap. I simply do not agree. And obviously it is my personal feeling.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@kinggo01 @Prior20 @Kuschelmonschter finally I dit it :wink: I took some sample recording of the performance of my tv

Please have a look at it and leave your comment, maybe I'm really wrong and it is slow but I'm not able to judge.

https://community.sony.it/t5/android-tv/how-really-slow-is-android-tv/m-p/2429785#M25486