Join now - be part of our community!

dolby vision

profile.country.GB.title
stewartgordon4

dolby vision

has any one read about the problem about the dolby vision update not being able to get dolby vision over h d m i or streaming devices sony had these problems when they rolled out the update in the u s a they have neglected to advertise the fact that they have made a mess of the update

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Well, this seems to be the latest news:

“Select Sony TVs will support Dolby Vision with the software update to be rolled out in Europe within February, 2018. After the Sony TV receives the software update, devices with Dolby Vision playback (such streaming media players and UHD Blu-Ray players) that are connected to the Sony TV by HDMI will also require a software update to support Dolby Vision playback through the device. For more info on the timing of an update to a particular player, please contact the player’s manufacturer.”

Then the article says that this is due to the slow CPUs in the Bravia TVs, that do not have enough power for processing the Dolby Vision signal, and so the computation is offloaded to the HDMI device. I am quite sure an Apple TV 4K has the power for it, but what about a BR player? Not that I understand either why the HDMI should require more CPU power than the Android apps...

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

It seems, but it would need to be confirmed, that the latest tvOS 11.3 beta makes the Apple TV 4K compatible with Dolby Vision (obviously via HDMI) in the American Bravias. If it is true as it seems, I'd like to point out the difference in timing on fixing/updating things of "that other company"...

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

I found it funny how some Sony fanboys over at AVSForum kept iterating that "arrogant Apple" will probably never release an update for the profile. They blamed and thrashed everybody but Sony over the DV disaster.

Now Apple is first. Probably because they don't rely on MediaTek like OPPO and others do :wink: .

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Indeed. My experience with Apple is that if something isn't there it's because either Apple believes it isn't secure (like with Flash, Java etc support), it isn't worth it or not supported by the HW (like with profile VP9 used by Google. Apple favours the superior HEVC, ignored by YouTube. Although I do manage to slowly play some VP9 videos - but not VP9.2 - with Kodi using a SW accelerator on ATV 4K), or it is against its own interest (like "mkv" not supported by iTunes, for ww know what reasons). Still the 3rd party apps play nearly everything (like Infuse Pro). 

And when I report a bug via the Appleseed program, the devs do work on it. Once they have even found out from the logs that it was my router resetting the WiFi connection, then switching (needlessly) to 2.4Ghz.

In this case the Apple devs probably thought ("who the heck is ever going to implement this DV profile.."). But now that some displays/TVs has it it took a couple of weeks to add it in tvOS. I still don't know if the Sony UHD BR Players support DV on Bravia, now.

PS: Actually it seems that Sony has implemented a DV profile that belongs to HDMI 2.1? If that is correct the CPU had nothing to do with it and it would finally explain plenty of things..