Join now - be part of our community!

Dotted horizontal line across screen after latest update

SOLVED
marc.knuckle
Explorer

Dotted horizontal line across screen after latest update

i thought it best to start a seperate thread to the 'juddering' thread.

so no juddering so far since the last update and the video apps seem to be playing okay.

however...we just noticed a horizontal line, sort of dotted, along the screen. we initially thought it was the program but it stayed there when another program came on. we turned it off and on and it is gone for now but it never did this before the update

20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for re-confirming.  Closing escalation.

profile.country.GB.title
lgcebr

Hi, since the latest update we're sometimes getting a fine row of dottel lines part way across the screen.  I use the ARC link between my Sony  55XD9305 (four weeks old) and a Sony STR1060 receiver (18 months old0.  I have disconnected my Sky box and the lines still remain but after switching off and on a few times they will disappear.  The lines might be cables or the receiver but don't appear to be the TV itself (as the lines don't show on the TV home page).

The lines come back a few day slater but always in a differen part of the screen so we're not talking dead pixels.

Exatly pinpointing the problem is difficult because when it is intermittent so we're never sure when swapping leads etc if we've got rid of it or it's just disappeard.

Sony Technical Support have no ideas.

Any ideas woudl be really welcome.

screen  line 12 Nov b.JPG

screen line  12 Nov a.JPG

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @lgcebr

Even though the escalation for marc.knuckle was closed, Sony kept the investigation open in regards to this problem, as they informed me that there was another case of similar issue.  Going by your post above, it was probably you they were referring too :slight_smile:

Even IF Sony Support cannot figure this out, they still must provide a satisfactory solution (i.e. replacement of TV etc).

I am going to escalate you post back to Sony Support for a solution to be found.  Let me know how you get on.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
lgcebr

Thank you  -I appreciate youtr help.

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

@Anonymous  @lgcebr

Hi

There are a few Apps on Google Play for Android devices that possibly can test for "dead" or "stuck" pixels.

Some claim that "....also you can test and tune your TV set using your android device with HDMI cable".

I don't know if this can help since I don't own an other Android device.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ua.dp.ustav.screentest

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=la.marsave.fullscreentest

and other....

profile.country.GB.title
lgcebr

Thanks for this suggestion.  I will follow up on the links you provided.

I am pretty sure they are not dead pixels because sometimes the lines are to the bottom of the screen, at other times across the top and other times not there at all.  So it looks to me like something is generating these artefacts   In different places. 

Interstingly I only had this issue since the last update and I've just been speaking to someone at Sony who said they had received another report of this issue..... I hope it wasn't my report duplicated!

I sincerely hope that this is a fixable issue because I really like the 4K panel on this TV.  

My concern about Sony quality is increasing though because we originally had a 2015 4K TV that Sony refunded by Sony  in March 2016 because of various faults.  With the refund we bought our current TV which lasted only six months before it died completely.  The retailer accepted that second TV was faulty and replaced it four weeks ago.  The lines are happening on this third TV.  

I think any reasonable person would start to get worried about Sony product quality behind the screen

Anyway I appreciate your help.

profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

@lgcebr wrote:

Hi, since the latest update we're sometimes getting a fine row of dottel lines part way across the screen.  I use the ARC link between my Sony  55XD9305 (four weeks old) and a Sony STR1060 receiver (18 months old0.  I have disconnected my Sky box and the lines still remain but after switching off and on a few times they will disappear.  The lines might be cables or the receiver but don't appear to be the TV itself (as the lines don't show on the TV home page).

The lines come back a few day slater but always in a differen part of the screen so we're not talking dead pixels.

Exatly pinpointing the problem is difficult because when it is intermittent so we're never sure when swapping leads etc if we've got rid of it or it's just disappeard.

Sony Technical Support have no ideas.

Any ideas woudl be really welcome.

Screen dots

Close up of right of screen

I can confirm I have seen the exact same issue when switching between my PS4 Pro and TV. It did it a couple of times and each time I rebooted. Nearly a week now and not seen the issue, however I have been getting a lot of random reboots!

ithomas7
Explorer

Hi, I'm seeing the exact same problem on my KD-55XD8599 since the latest firmware update. The horizontal lines appear regardless of what input is selected and usually it's when the TV switches on, switching off and on seems to clear the lines. Today there have been multiple random reboots sometimes 2-3 times straight after each other and before it's even finished booting. Attaching a picture of how the lines lookIMG-20161120-WA0001.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @ithomas7

I have escalated your issue to Sony Support.  They should be in touch.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
lgcebr

Just in case it helps Sony find the cause of the dotted lines....  iThomas7 says he's had some random reboots on the television since the last update.  This has happened in my television too for no apparent reason - maybe nothing to do with the lines but it might help.