Join now - be part of our community!

Enhanced Picture Option Question

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Mike-J-N
Explorer

Enhanced Picture Option Question

Hi

I recently bought a xe838296 Bravia tv and as I was going through the settings I came across the input mode settings and discovered 'Enhanced Picture Mode' it said something along the lines of gives 4k signal signal etc when device plugged into inputs two and three,can someone please clarify what this is all about as in the manual and everywhere else it states ALL four hdmi modes run a 4k signal.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

If it is anything like my Samsung, that has four HDMI inputs all of which will support 4K, but only one of these will support the HDCP 2.2 needed for HDR. And while all four will support 10 and 12-bit processing, you have to turn this on.

My Panasonic DMP-UB400 UHD Blu-ray player has a handy Playback Info button on the remote which shows as an overlay on the TV screen what a loaded UHD Blu-ray (or indeed any other disc) is capable of, by way of video and audio output, and what the player has actually negotiated with the device(s) it is connected to.

This rapidly showed me that it was no good plugging the Panny into my Yamaha DSP-2500 soundbar, which has no HDCP 2.2 - although the picture sent through to the Sammy TV was nice enough, HDR wasn’t being passed.

To get the HDR, I had to plug the Panny directly into the Sammy, and only into HDMI 2 - the other HDMI inputs would work, but again, no HDR.

(At which point, I learned that the TV wouldn’t handle the audio the Panny was capable of, so I was very glad I had bought the 400 with its separate audio out HDMI that I could pass to the Yammy, which could handle it).

But it looks like there is 4K resolution, and there is HDR, bit depth, colour gamut, black level, and all other good things that you can have with UHD, so if only some inputs do these extra things, best use them, or you won’t get the full experience.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

If it is anything like my Samsung, that has four HDMI inputs all of which will support 4K, but only one of these will support the HDCP 2.2 needed for HDR. And while all four will support 10 and 12-bit processing, you have to turn this on.

My Panasonic DMP-UB400 UHD Blu-ray player has a handy Playback Info button on the remote which shows as an overlay on the TV screen what a loaded UHD Blu-ray (or indeed any other disc) is capable of, by way of video and audio output, and what the player has actually negotiated with the device(s) it is connected to.

This rapidly showed me that it was no good plugging the Panny into my Yamaha DSP-2500 soundbar, which has no HDCP 2.2 - although the picture sent through to the Sammy TV was nice enough, HDR wasn’t being passed.

To get the HDR, I had to plug the Panny directly into the Sammy, and only into HDMI 2 - the other HDMI inputs would work, but again, no HDR.

(At which point, I learned that the TV wouldn’t handle the audio the Panny was capable of, so I was very glad I had bought the 400 with its separate audio out HDMI that I could pass to the Yammy, which could handle it).

But it looks like there is 4K resolution, and there is HDR, bit depth, colour gamut, black level, and all other good things that you can have with UHD, so if only some inputs do these extra things, best use them, or you won’t get the full experience.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking