Join now - be part of our community!

Ethernet speed on Sony (65 AG8) tv

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
praful40
Explorer

Ethernet speed on Sony (65 AG8) tv

I have a Sony AG8 Tv. I'm experiencing buffering issues intermittently.

The tv is connected directly to router via ethernet cable. I have a virgin router with a speed of 160mbps (paying for 200mbps) when connected to laptop. However when i connect the cable to the tv and do a speed test on it, it has a speed of only 10mbps. Why is the speed so slow? Is there any setting on the tv i should change? am i doing something wrong? Is the NIC card in the Tv just not up to scratch? Any help would be helpful.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Tonycv51
Contributor

I has a similar situation but via a switch. TV was 20-30, laptop via same cable gave 160-180.  Change cable and switch TV changes to 70-80.

Am not sure cable alone would explain that though. What speed test are you using on the TV as don't find them reliable. Suggest doing a soft reset and then test in netflix ( assume you can do this without a subscription) or fast

Edit 80 via netflix sounds like you're getting full speed

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Tonycv51
Contributor

Are you connected direct from TV to the VM Hub?  If so maybe try a different cable

My XF gets about 70-80Mbps via Lan cable. However mine is connected via a switch and I did find an issue with some netgear ones that throttled the speed to below 30

How are you testing the speed - netflix speed test within help seems reliable 

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@praful40 @Tonycv51 

Seconded; suspect the Lan cable first, and try a new one.

What does it say on the existing cable? It should be at least Cat 6; but even with these, you only have to tread on them hard, trap them under furniture, or bend them on a very sharp radius, for them to start working much slower than they should.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
praful40
Explorer

Thank you for your reply. 

The cable is not at fault as is works fine when connected from Router(Virgin Media) directly to Laptop. it has a speed reading of 160Mbps.

But when connected to Sony Tv and running an speed test app on tv it reads about 20mbps. What could be the issues or am i doing something wrong?

profile.country.GB.title
praful40
Explorer

Thank you for your reply.

I am connected directly from the Router ( Virgin media 3.0) to sony tv via ethernet cable. when running an a downloaded app on tv (speed test app) it reads 20Mbps. I have and paying for 200Mbps.

However i tried the speed test via the netflix app as you suggested and i got a reading of 80Mbps. Now thats strange?

profile.country.GB.title
Tonycv51
Contributor

I has a similar situation but via a switch. TV was 20-30, laptop via same cable gave 160-180.  Change cable and switch TV changes to 70-80.

Am not sure cable alone would explain that though. What speed test are you using on the TV as don't find them reliable. Suggest doing a soft reset and then test in netflix ( assume you can do this without a subscription) or fast

Edit 80 via netflix sounds like you're getting full speed