Join now - be part of our community!

Faulty Sony TV - KD - 49XE9005

profile.country.GB.title
Fab3rge

Faulty Sony TV - KD - 49XE9005

Had this tv for about 5 years and I’m sick of it. Constantly reboots, at least once every time I want to watch some tv or play a game. Sony support are v slow at helping, and when they do reply, they tell me something I have read on a forum already (factory reset the tv, hold down the buttons, pull out the plug for 30 seconds, etc). 

Was hoping one of you could talk me through how to manually fix my tv, as Sony don’t know how to fix their own product and refuse to take my tv in for inspection. 

Thanks!

10 REPLIES 10
Piscie
Community Team

Hello @Fab3rge, how often does it reboot? and what's the current software version on your TV? Latest one should be v6.7215

You can try this workaround: Disable the interactive application (HbbTV) (Home - Settings - Channel Setup - Digital setup - Scroll  down to Interactive Application Setup- Interactive Application - Select Off) 

Also, turn off the Update Guide in standby setting (Settings - Digital Setup - Guide setup - Update Guide in standby -Off)

profile.country.GB.title
Fab3rge

Hi

Can’t check the software right now as TV just completely f’d. Nothing plugged in and it just reboots over and over and over now. 

I know one fix - a sledgehammer - but that’s going to make a mess. I’m going to try and fix this thing myself, even if I gotta take the back panel off. If it’s broken, it’s broken. What damage can I do?

Sony support recommended I updated my TV and now it’s glitching out even worse than before. I have to let it cycle for an hour (minimum) before I can even use it. 

I hate this TV. One of the biggest regrets of my life was buying this. I thought if I spent a few quid, it should be a good investment, but it’s been a pain in my butt for the past 3+ years. 

All Sony support do is send me suggestions but refuse to accept liability for their faulty goods. I had similar issues with my old PS2 and PS3 (faulty and glitching out). 

Their tech is obviously built with Planned Obsolescence in mind - just get past the first two years and then their stuff packs in. 

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi @Fab3rge  :slight_smile:

Do you have a record of  complaining about this 3 years ago and since then? If you have then great.

I've tried to find a post by @royabrown2  where it helped someone get a partial refund due to the

item being agreed not fit for purpose by John Lewis but I can't. (My brain is too old :D)

I'd welcome his thoughts on this.

profile.country.GB.title
Fab3rge

Hi, 

I bought the TV 26/08/2017. I barely used it for the first couple years as I didn't use to play games as much, but lockdown has made going out too expensive. 

The first time I noticed issues was about May 2021. I contacted Currys about the issue and they said their warranty is only a year - best to contact Sony directly (I know much better now than to accept this BS answer but live and learn)

At first, I tried calling Sony TV support, and they said the issue was with my PlayStation. After calling PS Support, they said no no no, it is your TV. This went back and forth for months. Finally, I saw on a noticeboard (like this) that it's got to be an issue with the TV, as the fault happens even without HDMI connected.

The TV will go down for hours, days at a time. Even factory resets do not work any more. Before the software update, it at least worked for a couple hours a day. Now it works when it feels like it.

I have been emailing Sony ever since December 2022, and it's the same response every single time - have you tried factory resetting it? Have you tried software updates? 

Nothing works. Sony will not even give me a quote to fix it, because they know the fault is inherent and worried it will show on the engineer report. 

It is making me very depressed and I have major regrets buying a Sony TV.

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi again :slight_smile:

Don't talk to me about Currys, I totally understand your pain.

About 15 years ago I had 7 faulty TVs in a row from them including Samsung and Sony.

One TV was even delivered that had a hole in the back casing that you could put your fist into 😮.

I never bought anything from them again.

You may have left it too long to complain however hopefully Roy may have a bit more insight into

this. 

Also in my opinion your TV is not fixable by yourself, even if you can identify the problem and parts 

needed it may cost more than your TV is worth now.

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi @Fab3rge 

I found the thread, Here it is.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@jumpsuit @Fab3rge 

This message was posted on the exact day this TV had its unhappy sixth birthday. So it’s lasted six years, which is about the rule-of-thumb lifetime of a TV set, and if you get longer than that, it’s a bonus.

Consumer law actually talks about six years not as the lifetime of the set though, but as the length of time you have to complain about an issue and seek redress, so if the TV was OK for the first three years, and started playing up in the fourth year, 2020-2021, you still have four years left in which to act, technically.

But from a practical point of view, unless you started pushing for a replacement from that point on, it is a bit late to start now. As you were misled by Curry’s on a point of consumer law, you could proceed against them (it has to be them as the retailer, not Sony), though it might be difficult to substantiate the claim that that is what they told you, if they dispute that. And you have had only three trouble-free years of the set’s life, so you could argue they owe you three years.

But these would be part of a decidedly uphill battle, so I think we have to regard this one as having run out of time, unlike the soundbar which failed in year three, similarly early, but was actioned in year three.

The takeaway lessons are buy from someone who will give you a five year guarantee and will not try to mislead you on consumer law, which maybe won’t be Curry’s, and maybe also widen your choice of TV manufacturers to consider.

Sony can still get more out of a given panel than anybody else as regards picture quality, and the very first Sony Android TV, from the launch in 2015, is still going strong and running without incident for us (though our son has it now), so they can be a good experience still; but if you wanted to look round the market, this would be more than understandable 😛

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Thanks @royabrown2  for coming in on this and clarifying 👍

I thought it may have been left too long however as you say it may be worth

pursuing this with Currys considering their misinformation.

'Faint heart never won fair lady' as they say.

profile.country.GB.title
Fab3rge

Hi guys,

Had a feeling you would say that. I’ve given up hope hearing from Sony. The thing is, when this TV works, it’s great. It’s just the other 8/10 times when it doesn’t work. 

I’m really disappointed how slow Sony are to respond. Now they will not reply at all. I asked them for a repair quote if they are not prepared to fix for free. But nothing. 

I’m surprised they haven’t even offered me a trade in valuation- surely they can fix this and sell as refurbished, or even use the parts. 

Might just put up on FB Marketplace, someone out there might be happy with it. It works fine if you lower the res to 720p. It just can’t handle HDR and/ or anything close to 4K