Join now - be part of our community!

Firmware Update delivery question.

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

Firmware Update delivery question.

Do OAD (over air downloads) still operate for updating firmware or are users now 100% reliant on using either an internet connection, or manual installation via USB ?

In other words would a TV (such as the current Android models) and used with no web connectivity ever update automatically via off air transmission as used to be the case years ago ?

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jocoope99
Explorer

OTA updates for TV via aerial were done in the past for Freeview tuners etc. I have never known a smart TV to recieve a firmware update in this fashion, i might be wrong but i have never seen it.

Modern TV would normally always do this via Internet or Manual USB process. Mainly because by design one would normally connect a smart TV to the internet to get it working to its full capability.

Seems like a waste not to connect it as so many features not work without it.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
jocoope99
Explorer

OTA updates for TV via aerial were done in the past for Freeview tuners etc. I have never known a smart TV to recieve a firmware update in this fashion, i might be wrong but i have never seen it.

Modern TV would normally always do this via Internet or Manual USB process. Mainly because by design one would normally connect a smart TV to the internet to get it working to its full capability.

Seems like a waste not to connect it as so many features not work without it.

xx4L0Mxx
Contributor

The Android updates would be delivered via Internet or downloaded to USB only I would of thought. Android OS updates are about 1.4gb in size. 

profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

Thanks for your thoughts on this. One reason for asking was that I'm all to aware that a dodgy update (and it does happen) can cause unforseen issues and so I prefer to keep control of when and what I update. I did enable Wi-Fi connectivity on my new 43xd8305 and perform an initial update but have since disabled the feature.

Tbh I'm quite relieved it doesn't rely on OAD's as in the past.