Join now - be part of our community!

Force load older (v6.5830) firmware from USB

profile.country.GB.title
DXBLouie
Explorer

Force load older (v6.5830) firmware from USB

Dear all,

Is there any way to force re-flash the older v6.5830 Oreo firmware (from January) on my KD-65XE8577 through USB?
I have the original file which i downloaded from Sony a few months ago, i tried to restart the TV with the drive inserted.. i tried to unplug/replug/etc with different buttons pressed.... pretty much all the tricks i could think of.

Why?
1. i want the older Netflix app (it's preinstalled.. and i can't uninstall it using adb/etc.. so i can't downgrade)
2. i have an issue with AAC Passthrough that used to work, or at least i think it did.... 
3. While i've seen some improvements, i have NO live channels, and i only use the apps, and external inputs, and i could swear performance was better on the older version...

Hope someone has ideas!

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Hi @DXBLouie,

Welcome to the Sony Online Community!

Downgrading the firmware level of a device is not offered on the entire range of Sony consumer electronics products at the moment. Whether or not this will change in the future, I can't tell to be honest. But I can imagine that together with the right of ownership of a product, you must have also the right to choose which firmware level you wish to run. The argument I hear often, is that this right is offered to you with each firmware release. As you are never forced to upgrade if do not want to. In addition, as I understand it, by downloading and installing a new firmware you evidently also agree and consent to the fact that the option to upgrade is irreversible. However nobody apparently takes the time to read the terms and conditions that are bound to firmware use at download. So the legal work behind it looks to be water tight.

Let us know your thoughts and perspectives.

Cheers,

Dutchice

profile.country.GB.title
DXBLouie
Explorer

You make a solid argument, and i appreciate your feedback.

I was initially excited for the update, and i loaded it myself by USB before it was offered automatically.

Now i have my regrets as i can't load an older version of Netflix for example since it's pre-loaded.

The only thing i can do is to repack the APK myself, with a new name, etc.. but i'm not even sure that's possible yet

profile.country.GB.title
Harry12345
Explorer

Except that with each firmware update Sony only tells about about the issues it fixed not the problems the update may cause. Since I doubt that Sony is actually testing the newly released firmware with TVs that may be already a few years old there could be a case of false advertising  the  firmware if the new firmware will not perform at least as good as the previous version or even worse make the older TV inoperable or cause unexpected issues.