Join now - be part of our community!

google play movies in 5.1 audio

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
ukbob1970
Explorer

google play movies in 5.1 audio

I have my kd49xd7005 on the latest firmware hooked up to my 5.1 amp (sony by the way) via optical and have no problem with netflix or amazon playing movies etc in 5.1 audio.

I have just rented a movie from google play (end of year deal only 99p) but cannot get it to ouput in 5.1 audio.

Please don't tell me googles own ecosystem is worse on their own android tv than their competition.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Google Play Movies does support 5.1 Surround Sound, see pic:

Google Play Movies - Surround Sound.jpg

However Dolby Digital Plus is only supported via a HDMI connection

Although as I understand it, some Google Play Movies do support 5.1 via multi-channel PCM - try setting "Digital Audio Out" to PCM - the setting is in the sound settings of the TV (not in Action Menu though).

Cheers

Cheers

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Google Play Movies does support 5.1 Surround Sound, see pic:

Google Play Movies - Surround Sound.jpg

However Dolby Digital Plus is only supported via a HDMI connection

Although as I understand it, some Google Play Movies do support 5.1 via multi-channel PCM - try setting "Digital Audio Out" to PCM - the setting is in the sound settings of the TV (not in Action Menu though).

Cheers

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
ukbob1970
Explorer

thanks for your help again Quinnicus I do appreciate the time you put into all this.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Google Play Movies only have a DD+ stream. The DD+ decoder as built into Sony TVs can however downconvert that to 5.1 DD and output via both, HDMI-ARC and S/PDIF.

A TV typically only has HDMI inputs and HDMI-ARC, but no HDMI outputs. So they can't output 5.1 PCM. But as already mentioned, 5.1 DD is supported which DD+ can be converted to.

profile.country.GB.title
vincentbrice
Explorer

I have exactly the same problem on my exact same TV. I too have it hooked up to a Sony 5.1 amp (STR-DB840) with the TV’s optical out. I too rented a google play movie that would only play in stereo.

However, when I watch the same film on google play via my Roku 3 connected to my TV via HDMI, the TV then outputs the full 5.1 to my amp!
It also loops 5.1 from my XBOX 360 to my amp in the same way, but as with google play, it won’t output 5.1 direct from the TV’s YouTube app.
It will output 5.1 from a video on a USB stick.
Anybody work that lot out?

profile.country.ES.title
Antonio_65

Hi,

can you still play Netflix in 5.1 with latest firm? I cant in my TV same model as yours

thanks

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Check out Settings > Sound > Digital audio out. Latest FW set this to PCM for me, guess to mitigate Amazon Video syncing issues. Set it to Auto 1.

profile.country.GB.title
vincentbrice
Explorer

I had to return the TV for a separate issue and have replaced it with a Samsung. That too only outputs stereo from it's own internet connected apps. So I have to use my Roku 2 to get 5.1 from those sources.

profile.country.GB.title
RedHagar
Explorer

This still doesn't work for me. I have my TV audio out going through an optical cable to my receiver. My receiver doesn't support HDMI 2.0. There is no option on my TV (Sony x900e) for PCM. There is only Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital Plus. I recall reading somewhere not to use the Plus option but neither option makes any difference. 

This solution does NOT see to work for me...

profile.country.GB.title
RedHagar
Explorer

Nope, that doesn't work for me. Contacted Sony support and they couldn't get it to work either. Netflix works fine.