Join now - be part of our community!

Google TV / Android TV

profile.country.GB.title
ccarmock

Google TV / Android TV

So as not to clog the ITV-X thread with a related, but separate issue.....

I have a Sony KD49A9.   It got some sort of update to ITV-X via the Live TV update yesterday, but doesn't seem right yet - no HD content and the icon on the Sony Select bar has not updated.

Now Sony's note about ITV-X here: https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/articles/00287614

references the fact that for Google TV based devices the icon will change in a future software update but they do not say that for Android TV based devices.

I am actually wondering if their Android TVs will get any more updates.  Even though my TV was stil on sale in 2021 it is Android TV based and runs Android 9 (no longer receiving security updates from Google), any update now would require it to go to Android 10 or later, which would make it a Gogole TV based device.   They seem to like to keep the distinction between Android TV & Google TV devices so wondering if this TV which is not much over 18 months old is now stuck on an OS that will not get any more updates.

I asked via a support ticket.  They have told me my TV is already a Google TV device and that Android is just the OS it runs on. Partly true - yes it runs Android OS but as the KD-48A9 is still on Android 9 it actually runs Android TV not Google TV.

15 REPLIES 15
profile.country.GB.title
Elodin

Hey @ccarmock Your TV is indeed running on Android 9, while the latest and other TVs are running on Android 10. Just for you to know, the latest Android version available for Google/Android TVs is Android 10, while mobile phones currently are running on the latest Android version which is Android 13. It is different on Android TVs, though both of them have the same OS, they are not actually the same. You can't download all the apps available on the Google Play Store on your TV, for instance.

You can't have a dialler on your TV and so on.

Since your TV was released in 2020, it is still going to get future updates on it.

I hope this clarified it a bit for you.

profile.country.GB.title
ccarmock

Thanks this is useful info.  So hopefully before long Sony will update the Andoid OS of this model.

I knwo Google TV is available on Android 12 now too - as the Chromecast with Google TV was recently updated from Android 10 to Android 12

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey ccarmock, I think your TV is fairly new, but not seeing any updates since 2021 is a bit concerning to me. Which makes me thinks that if it's going to be updated (Ever) it won't get a newer Android version, rather than bug fixes, etc. 

Sony didn't announce any Android upgrades so far, but keep your eye on the support page. 

Best of luck! 

profile.country.GB.title
ccarmock

This was my concern - however Android 9 has gone out of support from Google in relation to security updates etc.   So unless they update it's version of Android it will be regarded as a vulnerable OS.

I note that other (older models) of TV have received an update from Android 9 to later versions of Android so I am still hopeful.

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey ccarmock, yeah, let's be optimistic here! Just out of curiosity, which other models that got updated? 

profile.country.GB.title
ccarmock

I'll try to find the link again and post here it was a block odf models, not all UK ones though.  The Sony article was explaining the diference between Android 9 (Pie) and the new release  WIll find it and post.

profile.country.GB.title
ccarmock

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/lcd-tvs-android-xh90xx_x90xxh_x91xxh_xh92xx-series/ke-55x...

This is one of them - the previous update to this it states:  Upgrades the Android™ OS version from Android 9 Pie to Android 10. For more information on the features and improvements, please refer to the Android TV™ OS update information for the XH90 and XH92 TV series article.

These are also 2020 models as is mine.  Mine was still on sale in 2021

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey ccarmock, 

Your model number isn't mentioned anywhere, however, after a bit of digging, I found out that it is still receiving security updates as mentioned on "View previous benefits and improvements "

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/oled-tvs-android-a9_a9s-series/kd-48a9/software/00267389 

profile.country.GB.title
ccarmock

Hi

Yes Sony Support said it is still receiving update s- however the issue is for Android 9 (Pie) Google have stopped issuing securtiy updates.  Last one was July 2021, and since then theere have been many security updates but only for Andoid 10 and later.....