Join now - be part of our community!

Hard Drive and Kodi problems

profile.country.GB.title
Mr_Writer
Explorer

Hard Drive and Kodi problems

Hi Everyone

Hoping to find some answers here. So a little background info. Had TV for a while, and love it. (XD80) 

I have a hdd plugged into the back that has copies of my dvd collection (mostly cartoons I watched as a kid as my kids love them) and I use Kodi to make it look nice and neat and the kids can keep track of what they have watched. 

However since upgrading to Oreo it seems that whenever my TV goes to standby or off it unmounts the HDD. 

So whenever I turn it back on Kodi can't find the files I added. The HDD mounts again when I turn it on, but that changes the name my TV gives it? As Kodi says it can't find the path (which is usually a garbble of numbers followed by the folder I keep it in. 

Tried another media player (Archos) and the same thing happens (although it seems to correct itself it takes a while). 

Does anyone have any suggestions? Like I said I didn't have this problem pre upgrade. My only other solution is buying a NAS drive, but if truth be told the way it worked before was more than adequate for my needs. 

Thanks 

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Hi @Mr_Writer,

Welcome to the Sony Online Community! Hopefully we will be able to resolve your issue together.

Would you possibly be able to answer the following questions for us?

1. What is the current firmware revision of your TV? Press the HELP button on your remote to verify this.
  2. What is the current size and file system type of your external storage media?
  3. Is your external storage media powered by its own dedicated power supply?

In addition I would also suggest you perform the following quick test and inform us the result.

1. Find a USB stick with a capacity smaller than 32GB.
  2. Format the stick using a Windows PC selecting the NTFS file system.
  3. Copy a few of your videos to the stick.
  4. Remove all external storage media connected to your TV.
  5. Now plug the USB stick preferably at the same port used previously by your USB HDD.
  6. Add the videos on your USB stick to your Kodi library and test to see if the issue occurs again.

Report back your results and we will take it from there.

Cheers,

Dutchice

profile.country.GB.title
Mr_Writer
Explorer

@dutchice wrote:

Hi @Mr_Writer,

Welcome to the Sony Online Community! Hopefully we will be able to resolve your issue together.

Would you possibly be able to answer the following questions for us?

1. What is the current firmware revision of your TV? Press the HELP button on your remote to verify this.
  2. What is the current size and file system type of your external storage media?
  3. Is your external storage media powered by its own dedicated power supply?

In addition I would also suggest you perform the following quick test and inform us the result.

1. Find a USB stick with a capacity smaller than 32GB.
  2. Format the stick using a Windows PC selecting the NTFS file system.
  3. Copy a few of your videos to the stick.
  4. Remove all external storage media connected to your TV.
  5. Now plug the USB stick preferably at the same port used previously by your USB HDD.
  6. Add the videos on your USB stick to your Kodi library and test to see if the issue occurs again.

Report back your results and we will take it from there.

Cheers,

Dutchice

Thanks

1 - Current FW is PKG6.6510250EUA

2 - It's 1TB

3 - No it's powed via the USB plugged into the TV.

Before I go further it's defiently not staying mounted. I had my TV off and when I turned it on again Kodi couldn't find the files, cleaning the library gave me the message that all the files from 

/Storage/32323443-2d35-4441-4300-d7be67bba8b6/tv shows/

Now i'd get this if I had ever unplugged the drive to add new content to it, although I don't remeber the drive being named that long. I also get the "open stroage" pop up when my TV turns on.

Anyway after clearing the library, and rescanning. And again going into standby and on again. I got the same problem this time the HDD was named

/Storage/32323443-2b35-4441-4300-a8be677b61ae/tv shows/

I haven't been able to find a USB stick under 32GB atm so been unable to do the rest. 

The files play fine, and its a shame the built in video app is super basic (being able to scrap info from TVDB and Movie DB so it looks cleaner is maybe something I suggest you pass onto whoever might deal with that :wink: )