Join now - be part of our community!

HDMI connection from eARC TV to basic ARC sound system

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
merseyswine

HDMI connection from eARC TV to basic ARC sound system

I want to connect my AG9 Master Series TV (which has an HDMI/eARC port) to a 5.1.2 sound system which has an HDMI ARC port but not eARC. Which Dolby formats will the TV be able to pass to the sound system and which formats won't it be able to pass through?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

because neflix atmos is....... well, not the same thing you get on disc.

And eARC on TV is only useful for sources connected to other HDMI ports on the TV. If you are not using BR player or some other external source of lossless audio connected to the TV than eARC will do nothing and you can switch it off since it seems that is causing some problems with audio droputs.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

eARC on ARC will do the same as ARC on ARC

profile.country.GB.title
merseyswine

Am I correct in thinking that ARC-on-ARC won’t support Dolby Atmos? If that is the case, I will need to buy a sound system that supports eARC.l if I want get the best sound on 4K streamed content

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

if you mean atmos like from netflix, that will work.

profile.country.GB.title
merseyswine

Yes, but that’s what confuses me. I read that basic ARC doesn’t support Dolby Atmos but I’ve heard from people who own sound systems with no eARC that they can watch Netflix and still get the Dolby atmos 

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

because neflix atmos is....... well, not the same thing you get on disc.

And eARC on TV is only useful for sources connected to other HDMI ports on the TV. If you are not using BR player or some other external source of lossless audio connected to the TV than eARC will do nothing and you can switch it off since it seems that is causing some problems with audio droputs.

profile.country.GB.title
merseyswine

Spoiler
ok - thanks for that explanation. You've been most helpful.