Join now - be part of our community!

HDMI Device Connected Set Up Bug on KD55XG9505BU

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
techn001
Explorer

HDMI Device Connected Set Up Bug on KD55XG9505BU

When I connect my PS3 to my KD55XG9505BU I get a notification telling me to "Set up for best device picture / sound quality". If I select the "Set up" button, all I see is the screen that indicates no signal. This has happened repeatedly.

Previously, when I connected a streaming stick to a different HDMI port it allowed me to set it up as a "Player" device.

Here are some pictures to show what I mean:

Notification of newly connected deviceNotification of newly connected device

Option to set up the deviceOption to set up the device

Result of selecting "Set up"Result of selecting "Set up"

Streaming stick on HDMI 4 showing as "Player"Streaming stick on HDMI 4 showing as "Player"

As you can see in the last picture, the streaming stick on HDMI 4 is successfully set up as a "Player".

How do I set up my PS3 on HDMI 2 as a "Games Console" (or whatever the suitable option is)?

Many thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
techn001
Explorer

@royabrown2 

Many thanks again for your detailed post! As far as I can tell, the diamond pattern without the "No Signal" message is only possible because of a bug in the firmware. Basically it should never happen in the first place...

I swapped out the HDMI cable and checked all the connections but it made no difference so I resigned myself to having to wade through the endless TV settings and, guess what, I found out how to set device types up properly in the most unintuitive place - "Watching TV" which I assumed was only concerned with stuff like tuning live channels 😕

For anyone who wants to know, here it is:

Settings -> Watching TV -> External Inputs -> External Device Setup

You can then setup any powered on HDMI device and it doesn't crash to the diamond screen if you do it this way!

HDMI device setup with HDMI 2 now showing as GameHDMI device setup with HDMI 2 now showing as Game

The device options for anyone who's interested!The device options for anyone who's interested!

Sony assures me in its pop-up messages that everything is now in "Optimal Quality". Could be a gimmick but it does look and play a bit better so it's worked out well enough in the end.

Thanks again for all your advice and sorry if I wasn't clear about anything. The TV firmware has changed so drastically over the past year that I've got very little idea about how to navigate the menus so I'm putting it down to a bit of luck, your post forcing me to think things through and some blood, sweat and tears finding the right menu. Now, Sony, please fix that bug! Cheers.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@techn001 

At a guess, the diamond pattern screen is coming from the PS3. (You can check this by powering it down, and seeing if that screen vanishes).

That being the case, you probably need at this point to configure the PS3 using settings on that device, rather than the TV.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
techn001
Explorer

@royabrown2 

Thank you for the reply. As I said though, that diamond pattern is the screen that indicates no signal on my TV (i.e. an empty HDMI port or a powered down device connected to it). The only difference is that the usual message telling you that there is no signal is not displayed during the bug described in the OP.

Diamond pattern usually indicates no signal on this TVDiamond pattern usually indicates no signal on this TV

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@techn001 

Thanks for the above. So if you switch to HDMI2 with nothing connected, you don’t get the message about setting up?

Thus indicating that the TV knows there is something there, as also shown by the lack of a ‘No signal’ message - and yet it can’t display anything from it, as shown by the diamond pattern?

Back to basics then; a flurry of immediate thoughts are:-

Do you know the HDMI cable to be good?
Is it firmly pushed into place at both ends?

Can you try with another one?

Can you try a different HDMI input on the TV?

Can you try connecting the PS3 to a different TV (maybe at a friend or relatives, if you have only the one TV?)

Can you try connecting the PS3 via composite (if the XG TV supports this)?

And although hot-plugging HDMI equipment ought to work, it sometimes doesn’t; so put the TV in standby, and set the PS3 up exactly as here, paying close attention to the sequence of powerings-up, and see if that makes any difference:-

https://www.support.com/how-to/how-to-set-up-a-playstation-3-10333

And wherever along this chain of tests it would be easier than arranging for the next step, or if you get to the end of it with no improvement, Factory Reset the TV and start again. Maybe Factory Reset the PS3, if that or some reset is possible on it, if nothing else works.

If not working with the PS3 was a generic bug on this model/model year/Android version/Firmware version, I think we would have heard about it before…

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
techn001
Explorer

@royabrown2 

Many thanks again for your detailed post! As far as I can tell, the diamond pattern without the "No Signal" message is only possible because of a bug in the firmware. Basically it should never happen in the first place...

I swapped out the HDMI cable and checked all the connections but it made no difference so I resigned myself to having to wade through the endless TV settings and, guess what, I found out how to set device types up properly in the most unintuitive place - "Watching TV" which I assumed was only concerned with stuff like tuning live channels 😕

For anyone who wants to know, here it is:

Settings -> Watching TV -> External Inputs -> External Device Setup

You can then setup any powered on HDMI device and it doesn't crash to the diamond screen if you do it this way!

HDMI device setup with HDMI 2 now showing as GameHDMI device setup with HDMI 2 now showing as Game

The device options for anyone who's interested!The device options for anyone who's interested!

Sony assures me in its pop-up messages that everything is now in "Optimal Quality". Could be a gimmick but it does look and play a bit better so it's worked out well enough in the end.

Thanks again for all your advice and sorry if I wasn't clear about anything. The TV firmware has changed so drastically over the past year that I've got very little idea about how to navigate the menus so I'm putting it down to a bit of luck, your post forcing me to think things through and some blood, sweat and tears finding the right menu. Now, Sony, please fix that bug! Cheers.