Join now - be part of our community!

HDR Dimming 55XD93

profile.country.GB.title
DAVIDJ152
Explorer

HDR Dimming 55XD93

Hi. I have a Sony 55xd93 which I got after returning my Samsung in January. Recently I've noticed in HDR content from a uhd blu ray source that with motion set to on (true cinema, custom) it causes my set to become really quite agressive and distracting. With motion set to off the black bars are significantly lighter but not the same pulsing effect. I know backlit LCD TVs have limitations but I swear it never used to be this bad and as you cannot changed the dimming setting on HDR content because it is greyed out. I've done many factory resets, plugged directly into hdmi ports on tv and changed hdmi cables and sources all showing this same effect. I have a couple of videos in my one drive account that clearly show the issue I'm having. First video is with motion off and second with true cinema activated and can clearly see a difference in how the system works. I'm on the latest software update and I just wondered if anyone else has had this issue

Link to one drive account       https://1drv.ms/f/s!Aq0v0EHwQj02gQg87_qBacfvsj1t

thanks

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
cass_n
Community Team

Hi @DAVIDJ152 and welcome to the community,

I have checked this for you and don't recommend that you use Motion and True Cinema at the same time.

Motion should be used when watching sports, but it’s not very useful when watching movies.  If you have them on at the same time, they are working against each other (like using speed control on a race track - for want of a better example :slight_smile:)

Cheers,

Cass

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

There have been several discussions on German forums that local dimming only works properly with XD93 after switching to True Cinema.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Here is the discussion. You might have to translate.