Join now - be part of our community!

High speed HDMI cables are mandatory when buying a 4K HDR TV

stevij
New

High speed HDMI cables are mandatory when buying a 4K HDR TV

I recently bought the KD-43XD8305 TV to combine with my Sony UBP-X800 4K UHD Blu-ray Player, Q Acoustics M2 Soundbase and BT-TV Youview player. I connected these with a set of "Premium, High Speed" HDMI cables. However, I had an extremely frustrating and worrying four days of trying to get a stable image off the  Blu-ray player - experiencing, image flicker, image dropouts, blanks screens, and image resets on both disk playback and even on the system menu.

I rang up for help from the retailer, but received no advice. I was told since my purchase was more than 28 days previous, I would have to go to Sony support. Meanwhile, I had already followed the set up advice from the installation guide, and off the Sony support pages. I had sat for hours trying each menu option, reading blogs and re-initialising the components, but nothing worked. I (like many others) thought the player was at fault and was all for sending it back.

To cut a long story short, the problem lay in the cables I had used. They said they were “Premium, High Speed” cables, but when I replaced them with a mix of the expensive (£80/£90) Sandstrom Silver 21 GBps and Gold 27 GBps HDMI cables, the results were remarkable - no jitter, just crystal clear, highly detailed images from both the player and the much improved Youview box.  These are very expensive cables but,  for me, any 4k HDR TV requires investment in high quality, high speed, lossless HDMI cables or you are wasting your money. 

In my opinion, Sony should insist on using cables above 18 GBps and explicitly exclude the term “Premium HDMI cables” from their set up manual & webpages - as this opens the customer to thinking that any premium HDMI cable will do.  THEY WON'T. Customers needs to know that unless they buy high quality, lossless  cables when they are buying a 4K HDR TV – they are heading for trouble.

Please, Sony, update your guides and webpages and avoid disappointed customers!

Tags (5)
1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
StoufferTheCat

Are you talking about "Premium certified" of "Premium / Premium Quality"? As the two are very different.

"Premium certified" is a certification system that a number of manufacturers use which guarantees that the cable in question will be "up to the job" for 4k/HDR displays. This certification is open to anyone, however as it costs money then many manufacturers don't bother.

"Premium" of "Premium Quality" or similar is just the manufacturer "self certifying" that their cable is up to the job. There is no external system to actually back this claim up and you've got to go on the work of the manufacturer. Many will be fine, but there is no guarantee.

I had a few problems with Amazon Basics HDMI cables. These are "Premium Quality" but not certified. I had one such cable from XE9305 to Yamaha RXV581 and another cable from the Yamaha to a PS4 Pro. On a number of occasions when using the PS4 Pro I was seeing "sparkles" over the screen and noise in dark and grey areas. I could leave HDR on, but as soon as I switched down to 2k display these all went away. I replaced the Amazon cables with "Premium Certified" cables which were not a ridiculous amount of money (UGreen was the brand) and this solved all of the issues in one go.

There is no need to spend silly money on "gold plated" or "gold contacts". HDMI 2, HDMI 2.1 cables don't exist. The only official certification is "Premium Certified" which will get you a cable guaranteed to support full 4k/UHD. Other than that you've into the realms of marketting where a manufacturer will tell you anything.