Join now - be part of our community!

How can I force landscape orientation for apps in Sony TV

profile.country.GB.title
bruno.miguel.leal
Explorer

How can I force landscape orientation for apps in Sony TV

Hi all,

I bought a 55XE8596 and I've installed an app that I couldn't install from Google store. Now it loads in portrait mode instead of landscape mode. Anyone knows how can I force the landscape mode in the TV since Screen settings are disabled in the TV?

Thanks.

30 REPLIES 30
profile.country.GB.title
adamski99_uk

Bruno,

You can't force the screen orientation for non applications that weren't specifically written for Android TV.

Kind Regards

profile.country.GB.title
bruno.miguel.leal
Explorer

And the logic of that is?

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@bruno.miguel.leal wrote:

And the logic of that is?

Portrait isn’t really portrait, as it would be on an iPad, say.

It’s actually landscape with the video rotated 90 degrees, the aspect ratio preserved, with resizing if necessary, and black or grey bars added either side.

It’s a big ask to expect the TV logic to get this right for an app it doesn’t officially support.

AIUI, there isn’t a Portrait/Landscape option even for official apps, just that those apps can negotiate what they want with the OS; but if you don’t like that, there’s nothing to press to alter it.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
bruno.miguel.leal
Explorer

I believe It's really not big to ask access to TV orientation to change it when I want...I really don't understand why this is not available by default. What if I want to use the TV connected to a computer and use it vertically?

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Those apps were never meant to be used on a TV with its controls. That's why they might not work as intended. You can try to contact the dev and ask whether he/she wants to release an app which is built for the TV.

profile.country.GB.title
bruno.miguel.leal
Explorer

This app is to watch TV (legally) in my phone/tablet, but I want to watch in my TV. I believe that is more than fair.

I can't ask the TV provider to do that for me as they are not providing the service for 1 user only.

I really can't understand why Sony blocks this feature in Android.

Again I ask, what if I want to use the TV vertically? 

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Sony does not block it. It is the content provider that does not want you to watch the content on your Android TV.

profile.country.GB.title
bruno.miguel.leal
Explorer

If Sony doesn't block it where exactly is the option for Screen Orientation as I have on my Android TV box?

And if sony doesn't block it why exactly I don't have access to change any setting in the Screen menu under Settings?

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

You are running a mobile Android application on an Android TV. Android applications are not meant to be run on Android TV.