Join now - be part of our community!

How do i watch all my programmes in HD????

SOLVED
imamM1
Explorer

How do i watch all my programmes in HD????

Hi everyone, i just bought a new Sony w80c 50 inch that was supposedly a 1080p tv. However when i started it up the picture quality was not HD, not nearly, and I found out that these kinds of Tvs are not automatically HD when you first start them up. Bare in mind it is not auto-tuned, and it has built-in Freeview HD, though Freeview only allows certain few channels to be, such as BBC and ITV, so I cant watch every channel in HD.

My cousin has a Samsung tv where they can watch every channel in HD, such as sky sports and so on. So I was wondering how I can watch every channel in HD? Does it have something to do with auto-tuning, or something else? THANKS!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Afraid not.  You can only watch TV is its broadcast in HD - even then, you must select the HD channel - ie 101 for BBC1.  Sadly many channels on Freeview are broadcast in SD.  

Digital auto tuning is just the means to tune in the channels on the tv.  Before the digital switchover, channels were broadcast via analog.  But UK and much of the world has converted to broadcastibg digitally these days.

Dont worry about not being technically minded - ask as many questions as you like :slight_smile:

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

If you are watching TV via Freeview, HD is only on a set few channels in the 101-119 region.  The following chart are the channels, taken from this website HERE

_20160502_161236.JPG

When watching a standard definition broadcast, the TV will upscale this - but again not true HD.  Channel 5 is currently testing HD on Freeview, but no live date yet.

The reason why your cousin can see more HD channels is because he has paid Sky extra for the HD package.  Sky also doesnt broadcast every channel in HD either.  It has nothing to do with the TV brand or model.

Hopefully this explains things.

Cheers

imamM1
Explorer

So.......there is no way I can watch every channel on my TV in true HD? Also, does digital auto tuning have anything to do with upscaling the quality of the picture, or is it just with sound? Sorry I'm not a technologically minded person😂😂😂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Afraid not.  You can only watch TV is its broadcast in HD - even then, you must select the HD channel - ie 101 for BBC1.  Sadly many channels on Freeview are broadcast in SD.  

Digital auto tuning is just the means to tune in the channels on the tv.  Before the digital switchover, channels were broadcast via analog.  But UK and much of the world has converted to broadcastibg digitally these days.

Dont worry about not being technically minded - ask as many questions as you like :slight_smile:

imamM1
Explorer

So on Freeview I can watch BBC, ITV etc in full HD for free if it's built into my tv?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Correct.  See that chart i posted above for the list of HD channels.  A new HD channel should also be available as of tomorrow too.  Channel 5HD.

imamM1
Explorer

Haha thanks so much, you've been really helpful. Really appreciate it!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Your welcome :slight_smile: