Join now - be part of our community!

How to get out of Youview?

LouisMKD
New

How to get out of Youview?

Hi,

My family recently purchased one of the Sony Android TV's. I don't live in the country, so wasn't around for the initial setup, however have been home for Christmas and had a little play around with it. Seems to be really good.

One problem we have just had though, is that the TV was put into Youview mode (App?) and for the life of me I have no idea how to get it back into the normal TV mode. Although Youview seems good, its a lot slower than whatever guide was being used before. 

I've had a really long play around with the TV and unless i am missing something ridiculosuly basic, I have no idea how to get back to the inital TV Guide page that was being used. Its also not possible to switch between TV and Radio when in Youview mode.

Any idea guys?

Cheers

60 REPLIES 60
animals22
Explorer

I have tried through settings as advised , but I still cannot get rid of this awful 

Youview.    Wish i'd NEVER clicked on it . I can't get ANY channels at all now , just a 

blue screen with youview . Hate it .  Any suggestions ??

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

Read page 1 of the thread you are posting in :clown:

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
yetti1963
New

go to set up you view set up is an option choose "No" this means Tv
defaults toy free view BUT If you want to use I player & the other
catch up services you are SCREWED I bought an Amazon fire stick just
for catch up all the apps are free

TrickieRW
New

This has been by far the most annoying feature of this TV. I have disabled youview as on page one of this post.  The basic freeview branded guide is much faster to view than youview. 

However both ITV player and the Channel 4 app will not work outside youview.  What does work outside youview is a very basic video recorder that will record to a usb stick.  

I'm reduced to chromecasting ITV or channel 4 - and they are very buggy. 

I guess youview gave Sony a pile of cash to lock their TV to youview in this way. 

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

Your unworthy suggestion is rather wide of the mark.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
yetti1963
New

a fire stick is £30 this set has plenty HDMI sockets go on to YOUTUBE look up KODI TV

Lukewarm69
Explorer

I have a KD65A1 and Youview lets this TV down.  I want to use the satellite inputs and be able to use catch up TV but have no option to do this other than purchase another box.  Sort it out please Sony

profile.country.GB.title
TT-TT-
Explorer

YouView disables some features of my TV. It's slow and clunky. TVs do not need to warm up valves, so why does YouView need to take *several minutes* to get it's act together. 
No matter how much the "not and employee" gets offended, it just isn't up to the job.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

Greetings, @TT-TT-,from the ‘not an (sic) employee’.

I had to start putting that when Sony got nervous that my educated guesses about the underpinnings of YouView on Sony Android TVs were a bit too close to reality :slight_smile:

But I don’t get offended by people slagging off YouView on these boxes; everyone is entitled to their opinion, and you would probably be surprised how jaundiced my own view of it all is.

However, underlying opinions, there are facts, or assertions of fact - and these divide into three groups; public truths, private truths, and untruths.

And whenever anyone’s opinion, or their experience of Youview, is coloured by them not knowing a public truth, or believing an untruth, I will point this out.

As when YouView is blamed, say, for apparently hogging the itv and All4 players to itself, when the reality is that YouView should be praised for bringing them to the platform at all. If you want to blame someone, blame Sony for not licensing them themselves.... :disappointed_relieved:

And so on. This may or may not change their opinion of course; I don’t seek to do that, as it is pointless.

And you may note that when number 1 in the FAQ comes up, as it does for people who CBA to read the FAQ, and ask “How do I get this YouView [edited by moderator to remove profanity] off my TV?” that I just tell them how, without engaging at all on the issue of why they think it is [edited by moderator to remove profanity]. :poop:

But my jaundiced eye, as above, notes that YouView on these TVs is but a pale shadow of YouView on the PVRs, and even of YouView on the zapper boxes, which like YouView on the TVs can’t record, but can at least pause and rewind live TV.

And it also notes that the satellite service which cause so many complaints because you can’t have that and YouView together, isn’t a patch on Freesat.

And that the Android OS on these TVs is still slow, clunky, and buggy, even after three years of so-called development.

Where these TVs are matchless, though, I think, is as ‘monitors’ for Sky users, where the price/performance equation is unbeatable.

But anyone who actually wants YouView will be better off getting the full-fat version on a PVR, and coupling this with a Samsung or LG smart TV, IMNSHO :cool:

profile.country.GB.title
suzie75

Thanks for the solution. I have a brand new Sony tV and Youview was awful and slow to load. I couldn’t wait to remove it. I’m not even sure how it loaded in the first place. I really don’t recommend the app.