Join now - be part of our community!

How to get out of Youview?

LouisMKD
New

How to get out of Youview?

Hi,

My family recently purchased one of the Sony Android TV's. I don't live in the country, so wasn't around for the initial setup, however have been home for Christmas and had a little play around with it. Seems to be really good.

One problem we have just had though, is that the TV was put into Youview mode (App?) and for the life of me I have no idea how to get it back into the normal TV mode. Although Youview seems good, its a lot slower than whatever guide was being used before. 

I've had a really long play around with the TV and unless i am missing something ridiculosuly basic, I have no idea how to get back to the inital TV Guide page that was being used. Its also not possible to switch between TV and Radio when in Youview mode.

Any idea guys?

Cheers

60 REPLIES 60
profile.country.GB.title
yetti1963
New

YOU VIEW is the pox
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

Care to enlarge a bit?

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

@yetti1963 wrote:
YOU VIEW is the pox

I think its more down to the crippled Mediatek hardware that the Sony TVs rely on to be honest.

profile.country.GB.title
Gerry941
Explorer

Totally agree! awful! I'm going to try and send tre TV back

profile.country.GB.title
Gerry941
Explorer

Are calling him a CLOWN!

profile.country.GB.title
Gerry941
Explorer

Can;t be bothered to read all this prattle from this person

So went to the bottom and say....

Don'y know who or what you might purport to be MY TV IS 3 DAYS OLD AND GOING BACK.  YOUVIEW IS  TOTAL DISASTER

profile.country.GB.title
Tonycv51
Contributor

I can understand the frustration with youview but at least sony provides a solution as the issue for some of the catchup apps applies across android and not just sony

For my part I have all of the catch up apps on my Sony xf90 without youview

- install them from the hoshsadiq sideload (iplayer, itv hub, all 4 and uktv play - install my5 from the app store and then all of them can be added as favourites to the apps bar) 

- if itv and all4 don't play then this means you didn't accept all of the terms and conditions when the tv was set up (this would be the same for anything else like a samsung etc). For this run the initial setup again (skip the tv tuning etc - this is just to accept terms and conditions for both sony and youview - just turn off youview after you've agreed to terms and conditions) 

profile.country.GB.title
Gerry941
Explorer

Thanks - I've found that BBC iPlayer and My 5 can load without going through YouView. so that just leaves All4 and itvHub.

I'm no expert in downloading the files and running them on the TV, but have a son who can do! He's got the same issue on his Bravia but gets around it by using a sat decoder. 

As a first step though we're going back to Richer Sounds who said that we have a 30 day exchange policy, we'll find out! If so then we'll get the equivalent LG which actually has a better write-up.

profile.country.GB.title
Gerry941
Explorer

Well that worked!

You do need to install a file manager on the TV first, then use that to access the USB and load the apps. In my case this was the BBC iPlayer and ITV Hub for UK catch up progs. Also learnt from another site that apps can be moved by a long press on the app. A pity that Sony don't provide this in their instructions leaflet as they did with my previous Bravia 

profile.country.GB.title
Tonycv51
Contributor

Glad it worked. 

And yes you can access and arrange apps in 2 ways :-

- via the home button you can have the apps row as the top row and this is just ones you've added as favourites, and in the order you want

- via the apps button which I think is all installed apps but as you say you can move them so the ones you use are at the top