Join now - be part of our community!

How to get out of Youview?

LouisMKD
New

How to get out of Youview?

Hi,

My family recently purchased one of the Sony Android TV's. I don't live in the country, so wasn't around for the initial setup, however have been home for Christmas and had a little play around with it. Seems to be really good.

One problem we have just had though, is that the TV was put into Youview mode (App?) and for the life of me I have no idea how to get it back into the normal TV mode. Although Youview seems good, its a lot slower than whatever guide was being used before. 

I've had a really long play around with the TV and unless i am missing something ridiculosuly basic, I have no idea how to get back to the inital TV Guide page that was being used. Its also not possible to switch between TV and Radio when in Youview mode.

Any idea guys?

Cheers

60 REPLIES 60
profile.country.GB.title
Bambibabes
Explorer

Just because it hasn't, doesn't mean it shouldn't and can't! If enough customers are complaining everywhere and giving Sony TV's bad advertising and a bad reputations, telling others not to buy one, things might change and get updated!

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Just wait another 1-2 years and you will be in the same position as I am today. At some point in time you'll just give up...

profile.country.GB.title
Bambibabes
Explorer

Well I will never purchase a Sony again then, or advise anyone too!  Reputation, quality products and customer satisfaction, should be very important to Sony!

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

@Bambibabes rather than wasting your effort on flogging this dead donkey, I actually agree with your points.

Just:

Disable Youview. Do a google search for "hoshsadiq" "github" and "bravia-youview-player-launchers" and install the APK there (you will need to put in on an external USB drive, and install one of the file managers from the Android TV store to access it). This will then add the players to the home screen.

You get all the players, you remove the Youview interface and have the standard Freeview guide. Job done, Youview is gone, and you can get on with enjoying your TV.

You will also then be able to schedule recordings in the normal Freeview planner and record to external drives.

profile.country.GB.title
Bambibabes
Explorer

Thanks, I will try what you’ve written because not being able to schedule reminders or fav programs is driving me mad now! Still bloody angry I have paid the most I ever have on this tv and it doesn’t even do a basic secduled reminder, without me having to do all the stuff you have helpfully written on here! Won’t buy one again!

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

If you have only just bought it, you will be able to send it back and get a TV of another make.

Most especially if you were indeed told you could do all of those things you describe on the set together, in 2018 advertising, or in a sales description you were given, written or verbal.

You can do some of those things only on the YouView interface, some only on the Freeview side, and some, like pause and rewind programmes, not at all.

We would be very interested if you could point to any current online descriptions that say you can do those things on these Sony Android TVs.

As Kuschelmonster says, these sets started off rocky in 2015, and are still problematic in 2018; and though Sony is generally regarded as being able to get a better picture off the LG panels it uses than even LG can, the Android operating system continues to drag them down.

And the YouView interface is just a shadow of what YouView can do on one of its dedicated PVRs.

And so on......

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
Bambibabes
Explorer

Ok, I’ve tried this tonight, but it isn’t possible because my stupid Sony TV does not recognise and USB sticks and when I try to add the files to my HDD drive, which I have registered to the TV, my computer does not recognise it! How the heck am I supposed to add anything onto the TV! FRUSTRATED OR WHAT!

profile.country.GB.title
Bambibabes
Explorer

Now at last I’ve managed to get files you listed loaded onto the TV via Wi-Fi link (as I still can’t get any USB sticks to show up on the tv either!), but I’m afraid only BBC player works fully. Ch5 player appears but just has a loading icon continuously and 4OD and ITV player just still bring up the YouView screen asking me to reinstate it again to view them

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

Strange, they were working flawlessly here . I will check again. I did manage to install it via HDD though.

profile.country.GB.title
Bambibabes
Explorer

On ITV player, it seems to be possibly going to load, but then YouView loads instead again and Channel 5 player starts to load, but it then freezes with a spinning loading circle. BBC player is fine and Chanel 4 also fine now!