Join now - be part of our community!

How to get sound on both headphones and loudspeakers

profile.country.GB.title
f6dqm1

How to get sound on both headphones and loudspeakers

Hello. On my Sony TV KD-32W800 I am unable to get sound on both headphones and loudspeakers. Bluetooth  and optical connections switch off loudspeakers.

Is there a way to have sound on both headphones and loudspeakers ? Maybe by using an HDMI ARC to RCA converter ?

The Sony support explains a solution but it does not apply to my Sony TV.

Thanks for answers

20 REPLIES 20
profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

Have you tried?:

https://helpguide.sony.net/tv/iaepm1/v1/en/3_3_2_other_sound_settings.html

Speakers

Set the TV to play the sound on TV or on the connected audio system.

You can select where you want to hear the TV sound and how you want to control it.
• If you select External audio system, you permanently switch off the TV speakers.
• If you select TV speakers, the TV speakers are always on.
profile.country.GB.title
f6dqm1

TV speakers are checked in the Sound settings but there are automatically switched off if we connect simple headphones in the 3.5 jack (on the left side of the TV set). We have also connected bluetooth headphones and the TV speakers are automatically switched off when bluetooth connection is established. Sony support has also told me that the optical connection will switch off the TV speakers (not tried). Last chance : the HDMI ARC connector. The audio settings of the TV seem to lead to an exclusion between TV speakers and digital HDMI output, but not tried. 

I don't know how to manage to have sound on both headphones and TV speakers. I need this for an old hearing impaired person who would like to watch TV with personnal headphones and suitable volume while the other persons watch the same TV with TV speakers set at a "normal" volume.

profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

On some Sony Android TVs the only way to get Audio from the Speakers and a connected Audio device is via Optical Connection, not via Bluetooth or Headphone Jack Cable.
In the Web Guide you don't explicitly read about Optical Connection as the only method but you can try, I understood you had tried but from your previous answer I would say no.
profile.country.GB.title
f6dqm1

No,  I did not try the optical connection. I had just an answer from the Sony support which says that the optical connection will disconnect the TV speakers. Can anybody confirm that ?

profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

We need someone to confirm it for this specific Model, because as I wrote in Sony TVs with Android TV the only connection that allows "double Audio" is the Optical one, but the W800 Series is different from other Sony Android TVs.
The fact that the Web Guide doesn't mention this leads me to think that it's not possible, but there is the link I attached to you, when it comes to the Audio System usually we are referring to at least Optical so the method will most likely work.
profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey f6dqm1, the TV itself doesn't support outputting sound from the headphones and the TV at the same time, you can find more info here:

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/articles/00049501 

profile.country.GB.title
f6dqm1

Yes, I know this article. It does not apply to my Sony KD32W800 which as a different menu.

I am wondering if using an adaptor HDMI-ARC to RCA and/or 3.5" stereo jack would do the job ? In other words, does connecting such an adaptor to the Sony HDMI-ARC will swich off the TV speakers or not ? I consider the PROZOR ARC Audio Extractor.     

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@f6dqm1 

This might be better:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0C65DTX7P/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza
as it claims to support eARC, for better current or future compatibility, and has an HDMI out.

So it might be able to sit in the path to a soundbar, and put out audio from its other outputs as well.

But that’s not clear, so I have asked the question for you there - see if it gets answered, and what they say.

i can say that anything connected to the (e)ARC out of the TV will mute the internal speakers, no question. Have you got a soundbar?

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
f6dqm1

No, I want use wireless headphones, wifi or HF. I know that bluetooth headphones do not work because the TV set switches off TV speakers when it switches to the bluetooth headphones.

The internal 3.5" jack also switches off the TV speakers when wired  headphones are directly plugged into this jack.

I need to have both TV speakers and headphones functionning together. This is the title of the post.