Join now - be part of our community!

HT-SF 200 soundbar issues

profile.country.GB.title
buntsc
Explorer

HT-SF 200 soundbar issues

Hi,

I have recently purchased a KD43XF8796 TV and a HT-SF200 soundbar. I have the soundbar connected via the HDMI ARC socket 3

Normal listening level using the internal TV speakers is between 25 and 40 whereas with the soundbar the equivelant listening level needs to be set at 65 to 80

I have adjusted all the settings possible with no difference.

It seems to be the same whatever the source. I have a Virgin Media Tivo box connected to HDMI 1, a DVD player to HDMI 2, the soundbar to HDMI (ARC) 3 and a VHS player via an EX Pro Scart to HDMI upscaling box to HDMI 4.

Anyone else had the same problem ?

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@buntsc wrote:

Hi,

I have recently purchased a KD43XF8796 TV and a HT-SF200 soundbar. I have the soundbar connected via the HDMI ARC socket 3

Normal listening level using the internal TV speakers is between 25 and 40 whereas with the soundbar the equivelant listening level needs to be set at 65 to 80

I have adjusted all the settings possible with no difference.

It seems to be the same whatever the source. I have a Virgin Media Tivo box connected to HDMI 1, a DVD player to HDMI 2, the soundbar to HDMI (ARC) 3 and a VHS player via an EX Pro Scart to HDMI upscaling box to HDMI 4.

Anyone else had the same problem ?

I have the same thing with my Yamaha YSP-2500; but why, unless you are flicking between having the Soundbar switched on and having it switched off, is this a problem?

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
buntsc
Explorer

It's a problem because I am fairly sure that is not supposed to be the case. If the soundbar and TV were from different makers I could understand it but they are both Sony products and the HT-SF200 is listed as a Bravia Sync compatable item.

The sync function does work; that is I can turn both pieces of equipment on simultaneously with the TV remote but the difference in output level is weird. The TV speakers are rated at 20 watts whereas the soundbar is 80 watts so unless there is an impedence issue I would expect the soundbar to be able to achieve much louder level than the TV speakers.

I thought someone might have been using similar equipment and had the same problem?

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@buntsc wrote:

It's a problem because I am fairly sure that is not supposed to be the case. If the soundbar and TV were from different makers I could understand it but they are both Sony products and the HT-SF200 is listed as a Bravia Sync compatable item.

The sync function does work; that is I can turn both pieces of equipment on simultaneously with the TV remote but the difference in output level is weird. The TV speakers are rated at 20 watts whereas the soundbar is 80 watts so unless there is an impedence issue I would expect the soundbar to be able to achieve much louder level than the TV speakers.

I thought someone might have been using similar equipment and had the same problem?

I don’t think you can adjust the ARC output level (unless somebody knows different?) but you can perhaps adjust the format of the sound; somebody with a similar problem with all-Samsung gear switched from PCM to Dolby Digital and got it louder. This Soundbar accepts both.

But apropos of this loudness; don’t get hung up on the number differences between 25-40 and 65-80, as these are just arbitrary.

The key question is can you make the soundbar go loud enough? if you can get it uncomfortably loud, without distortion, and actually run it a little below that number, whatever it is, then all is well.

But if you can’t get it as loud as you want, perhaps can’t even get it as loud as the TV goes, then that is a problem.

As for impedance, the only place here you could possibly get a mismatch is across the HDMI connection. But this has a very tightly controlled specification, and is digital, so the prospect is vanishingly unlikely.

I had a quick look at the manual for this Soundbar, and there are all sorts of things you can adjust; I suggest you work through them methodically - Bass, the various sound modes, make sure Night is off, try pressing Music for over five seconds to toggle auto volume on and off, and see which is louder, and so on.

And I see the sound split is 25W L, 25W R, and 30W Sub, so make sure the Sub is pulling its weight.

Do let us know how you get on, though.

profile.country.GB.title
buntsc
Explorer

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have tried changing sound modes, bass, checked Night mode is off but no difference. I switched from PCM to Dolby Digital in the Virgin Tivo box, again no difference.

It seems quite a lot of the sound settings on the TV are either greyed out or "only operates with the TV speakers" when I try to change them.

I haven't tried holding the Night mode to toggle auto volume on the soundbar so will try that. I switched to Fixed/Variable on the TV again no change.

I am not bothered by the numbers (25-40 TV) (65-80 Soundbar) just the fact that the TV speakers will go much louder than the Soundbar. I can not listen to the TV speakers at their (almost) max level as it is way too loud. However with the soundbar it is only just too loud at max level.

Seems strange to me, I will have a further fiddle and report back

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

Music, not Night, for auto volume.

Night, as you might imagine is a quiet mode, or at least one with a more limited dynamic range, which you probably want Off.

profile.country.GB.title
buntsc
Explorer

Yes, sorry that was a typo I meant Music. I already have the Night mode off