Join now - be part of our community!

Info banner randomly appearing with the PS4

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Info banner randomly appearing with the PS4

When playing with the PS4 usually once per session the banner with the HDMI port and resolution appears randomly. I have a 49XD8099 and it happened with both 6.0.1 and 7.0. Other people reports that it happens with the PS4 Pro as well.

I am not sure if this has been reported in here (I'm in both UK and Italian forums and I mix them sometimes), but in case did anyone find a way to fix it? Also, does it happen with the Xbox One as well, for people who have it? Because I have a feeling it's mostly a PS4 issue.

Actually I have done now a quick search and it seems I am not able to find a post with a similar issue. Doesn't it happen at all? My PS4 is usually set in English, the only difference is that I have the tv in Italian. I dunno, just wondering.

48 REPLIES 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all

I have added this to the bugs/issues list:

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/android-tv/android-tv-bugs-and-issues/m-p/2356875#M20915

It seems to be happening only on the ATV2 platform as far as I can tell. 

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Quinnicus wrote: 

It seems to be happening only on the ATV2 platform as far as I can tell. 

Oh, this could be. That's something I never thought to check indeed.

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Some more findings on this annoying bug. I will use the PS4 as example because the only other HDMI device I have attached is the PS3, and there the banners are spamming (but at least at the right time. Like when starting a game or an app or closing them). Just a list of steps that make the banner always showing while in my opinion it should not:

1. Have the PS4 Audio settings using HDMI OUT/Linear PCM
  2. In the TV audio setting choose the Cinema mode
  3. In the TV audio settings switch ClearAudio+ 
  4. The banner appears while switching ClearAudio+

With switching I mean change from ON to OFF or vice-versa (just in case there were any doubts!). 

Otherwise we may get this scenario:

1. Have the PS4 Audio settings using HDMI OUT/Bitstream Dolby or Bitstream DTS
  2. In the TV audio setting choose the Cinema mode
  3. In the TV audio settings switch ClearAudio+
  4. The banner does not appear while switching ClearAudio+

Changing the TV audio mode to Standard and switchign CLearAudio+ things got a bit more messy. I should reproduce them, but honestly I'm not in the mood.

With any setting in the PS4 or TV switching the audio night mode the banner always appear just after the switch. 

Given that I decided to try the following:

1. I have set the PS4 Audio Format to Bitstream Dolby
  2. I have set the TV audio mode to Cinema
  3. ClearAudio+ in the TV is disabled (I am quite sure I had it enabled when the banner often appeared)

The banner did not seem to appear anymore in more than a week. Unless it did once while loading a game save. I must say I moved from Dark Souls 3 to FF XII, and the issue may be triggered by the different audio in the different games. But it's also true that I changed to the same settings in Dark Souls 3 and I had at least 10 days without the banner (then I messed up again with the setting as usual for me! :yahoo:)

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

So yesterday afternoon the banner appeared again. With my surprise. But I then immediately recalled that yesterday I did modify my settings to do some testing for the post above. I went into the PS4 settings and the PS4 audio was in Linear PCM instead of Bitstream Dolby (the one when the banner usually doesn't appear).

I have changed it to Bitstream Dolby again and the night the banner never appeared. Sure, it needs longer testing, but I think it has been indicative that as soon as I've put back Linear PCM the banner appeared again.

To be clear, the fault isn't in the PS4, it's on the TV. It's just that changing audio format in the PS4 may bypass the bug in the television.

profile.country.GB.title
omegafluxx
Explorer

To add to this not being a fault on PS4, today I experienced the problem while streaming an HD movie being upscaled to 4K on the Xbox One S. 

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

omegafluxx wrote:

To add to this not being a fault on PS4, today I experienced the problem while streaming an HD movie being upscaled to 4K on the Xbox One S. 

Yes, indeed. Other people said it happened with BR Players and also the PC. But thanks for confirming it happens with the XB1 as well.

Anyway, for the specific PS4 case, I confirm that after setting the PS4 audio output back to Bitstream Dolby days ago the banner never reappeared. And I have been running some long game sessions. I know it isn't a solution, but as a workaround for the PS4 it seems to work.

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

In another forum there is an user with this issue happening quite often when connecting the PC to the television. It's fortunate because it gave us an opportunity to test. I told the user to disable the audio out via HDMI in the PC, he directed the audio to the PC external speakers, and according to him the issue disappeared.

So it really should be something related to the audio. Hopefully using a Soundbar/AVR via HDMI should reduce if not bypass the problem (maybe depending on the soundbar/avr brand/model).

profile.country.GB.title
Bioarm
Explorer

Hey 

Just got myself the KD49XE9005 model and I've just started getting this problem too but I'm using the Xbox One X. At one point it got that bad it did it about 100 times in 10 mins while I was playing AC Origins  and also while it was paused. Its now started doing it when I change channels on my virgin v6 box too. Had the tv a week now and it's only just started doing it the last few days and no idea why. I also have the HTCT 290 sound bar and subwoofer hooked up to my hdmi 3 but not a clue if that could be the problem.

Any info is much appreciated, thanks. UK based.

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

@Bioarm With the PS4 it seems that I reduced the problem setting the Audio to Bitstream Dolby or DTS instead of Linear PCM. I don;t know about the Xbox, but I suppose it has similar settings.

Steff_K
Explorer

Hello everybody,

I bought an 65XE9305 some days ago, and I have exactly the same issue as reported here. It occurs randomly with several devices (HTPC, Blu-ray player, PS4 Pro...).

@Anonymous: Please add me to the "Reported by" list.