Join now - be part of our community!

Internal Rumbling Noise on my KDL55XD8005 ?

radical1
Explorer

Internal Rumbling Noise on my KDL55XD8005 ?

I have an internal noise on my TV and I cant figure out what it could be? As far as i know there are no moving parts inside...  It happens when i change channel, navigate menus etc. On pressing the remote control i hear a low rumbling noise coming from inside the TV for about a second. Best way to describe the sound is it sounds like a Hard Drive locating a file... The noise instantly happens when the remore control is pressed like there is a HDD searching for my command.

This is doubely baffeling as I have owned the TV for a month now with no noise.

Last night my TV hit the Infinite Reboot Loop issue so i had to force a factory reset.

After the factory reset the internal noise appears.

Anybody any theories much appreciated, i hate not knowing! 

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Ive not heard the noise coming from the TV describes as a rumbling noise before.  Many say a 'clicking' noise.

Sony have this:

https://sony-eur-eu-en-web--eur.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44690/

"

Strange noise can be heard

In case your TV is in standby or playing while sound is muted, it may be that a strange noise (clicking, cracking, rattling) can be heard from time to time.

This noise is simply the result of the mechanical contraction and expansion of certain parts inside your TV. This noise may be heard during playback, up to one hour after powering off, or when powering on the TV from the cold. Please be aware that this symptom is perfectly normal and cannot be remedied by Sony.

"

Could the noise be due to "System Sounds" being enabled in the Sound Settings of the TV?

Cheers

radical1
Explorer

Many thanks for the reply Quinnicus, however it is not that issue.

The sound is a direct responce to my commands on the remote control, like a hard drive "seeking" noise.

Do these TVs actually have any moving parts like HDDs or Fans? I was under the impression they had a small Flash storage and no fan or any other moving parts.

Incidentally, i have no external devices connected, nice simple setup.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

These TVs dont have fans as far as im aware, and use heatsinks and air holes to disperse heat.  You are also correct, no HDDs, but flash memory.  Lets just assume at this moment, that its not a hardware fault.  As its not producing this noise until you press the remote control button. 

The first two basic troubleshooting steps to smart TVs these days are:

1. Ensure that you have the latest firmware installed
  2. Factory reset the TV - see HERE for instructions.  Factory resetting the TV can actually fix many weird and wonderful issues.

If after that its still producing that noise, im more inclinded to say its a hardware fault.  But lets take one step at a time I think..

Cheers

radical1
Explorer

Yes, i was forced to do a Factory reset last night and it has the latest firmware.  After that reset is when the noise started.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I have escalated this to Sony Support - they should be in contact with you next week.  I cannot think of anything else that may actually help you.  Please let us know on the forums on what Sony's outcome is.  Its an interesting problem you have :slight_smile:

Cheers

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

Hi @radical1

If the noise is similar to a buzzer when changing channel and TV goes from black to bright picture, then possibly the problem is the LCD inverter board(HV transformers). Could be only a bad LCD inverter and/or a bad power supply.

Sometimes this could also happen if cable pins for backlight on Inverter are not in good contact with small jacks.

Try lower brightness and contrast settings as low low as you can and check again. This should normally minimize sound.

In any case a repair or replacement must be done.

Anonymous
Not applicable

HI @radical1

Can you please private message me your contact details (i.e. email address) as for some reason Sony cannot find them via your profile on this site?

Cheers