Join now - be part of our community!

IR Blaster for KD55XD7005

SOLVED
profile.country.SI.title
martomo
Explorer

IR Blaster for KD55XD7005

When unpacking the Sony Bravia KD-55XD7005(BAEP), I was suprised that it did not come with an IR Blaster, after making some calls it seems that apparently only UK models come with the IR Blaster.

I've bought an USB IR Blaster from a spare part shop with product code 1-845-283-12 and managed to run the IR Blaster settings through HALauncher.

However I'm not sure whether this USB IR Blaster is not compatible or defect, as upon configuring IR Blaster settings, I'm still unable to operate my set-top box via IR Blaster.

Could anyone please tell me what the product code (e.g.1-845-283-12) is of USB IR Blaster which comes with XD7005(BU)?

Or can someone explain what are the difference between the available USB IR Blaster with different product codes?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.SI.title
martomo
Explorer

@Anonymous I've contacted the Sony support line for Slovenia, which was very helpful and gave me the contact for a Sony service center (Atron) in Ljubljana.

This Sony service center had the worst service ever, I've called them and manage to explain my problem and followed up with an e-mail and they said they would inquire further.

After a couple days with no response, decided to call them for more information, the guy who was handling my case was never in the office, so after calling them every off day for 2 weeks, I just gave up on this hopeless service center.

In the end I bought an Harmony Companion universal remote, which managed to replace the remote of my set-top box and all other remotes, which is great, a shame of the Sony television remote which is one of the better remotes I've had.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I am not exactly sure on the part number.

However the IR Blaster you are needing can be found from:

http://www.partmaster.co.uk/ir-blaster/product.pl?pid=5216077

Which it compatible with these models:

8bit.jpg

Cheers

profile.country.SI.title
martomo
Explorer

Even though my television model supports the IR Blaster, I have the feeling it does not emit any signal/pulses.

I picked up a Motorola VIP1920(TDB) set-top box at my provider, which is listed under Supported Model List in the IR Blaster setup.

Did not work, as for many other devices, including WDTV Live, none of them I was able to control (via Action Menu).

I'm running software version PKG6.0614.0004EUA, do I need to update in order for this to work?

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

Look at the output end of your known-to-be-working TV remote via the camera on your smartphone. This should make the pulses visible to the human eye.

Once you know this handy camera trick is working, look at the output of the IR blaster though the camera.

If there are pulses, you should then see them.

Doesn't prove it's the right blaster, or even that it's configured right, if you do get pulses, nor that the blaster is necessarily faulty if you don't.

But it does show which way things are leaning....

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.SI.title
martomo
Explorer

Managed to get the camera trick to work, I see a purple-ish color when using a remote.

When looking at the IR Blaster through the camera, there is no purple-ish color.

I've tried all USB ports, all the same result to no pulse/signal, which is what I suspected as I've tried multiple configurations and devices so far, no luck.

Is there perhaps a newer version of the system applications?

These are the (potentially) related IR Blaster apps with versions I have installed on my television:

- IRBlaster Native, version 2.2.A.0.38

- HandlingIRBlaster, version 2.0.A.0.2

- IrbService, version 2.1.A.0.27

Anonymous
Not applicable

As long as your firmware version is upto date (6.0614) - which I believe you are according to one of your replies - then there is no newer versions.

So you have either two options:

• The IR Blaster you have is faulty
  • The IR Blaster you have is incompatible due to it not being the right one.

The link I sent you from Partmaster (above) is only about £20 with delivery.

Cheers

profile.country.SI.title
martomo
Explorer

I've send Partmaster an email, inquiring about the product number for the IR Blaster.

Considering I already ordered an IR Blaster from a spare part shop, as my television did not come with one.

Could there be any other causes why the IR Blaster is not emitting any pulses/signals, for example because of region/language restriction in the IR Blaster software?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@martomo wrote:

Could there be any other causes why the IR Blaster is not emitting any pulses/signals, for example because of region/language restriction in the IR Blaster software?

I have no idea on that Im afraid.  However the firmware between EU countries and UK is the same.  So in theory, unless its specifically locked out (which I cannot think of any reason why they would do that), then it stands to reason it should work in other countries too.

profile.country.SI.title
martomo
Explorer

I'm asking as Sony only includes the IR Blaster with the UK model of the KD-55XD7005.

Despite the firmware being the same between EU countries and UK, there are different "settings" when selecting a region/country at the Initial Setup (e.g. YouView is available for UK).

What's the most puzzling is that, whichever region/country (UK/NL/SI) I decide upon to start the Initial Setup process, I do not get the option to configure a set-top box, nor IR Blaster during the Initial Setup process, as explained in this article:

http://sony-eur-eu-en-web--eur.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/85336/

Nor IR Blaster setup is listed under External Inputs in Settings, only way for me to start IR Blaster setup is through HALauncher, while the firmware is the same.

Even though while in the Sony/Google agreement I recollect something being mentioned that data is to be collected for third party in order for properly configuring the IR Blaster with devices.

That's why I'm thinking that it does not emit any pulses/signals, I have Slovenia as my selected region/country and perhaps the IR Blaster software is restricted (e.g. license of mentioned third party or missing "settings", like YouView).

profile.country.SI.title
martomo
Explorer

I've did some debugging with the help of ADB Logcat and noticed the following:

02-16 23:15:23.315  4762  4802 D IrbService-R: [IrbService][SendSircsThread] SendIR Interference countermeasures wait End
02-16 23:15:23.315  4762  4802 D IrbService-R: [IrbService][SendSircsThread] pathThroughSendIR Start
02-16 23:15:23.315  4762  4802 D IrbService-R: [IrbService][SendSircsThread] convertAndroidKeyEvent Start
02-16 23:15:23.322  4762  4802 D IrbService-R: [IrbService][SendSircsThread] convertAndroidKeyEvent End
02-16 23:15:23.322  4762  4802 D IrbService-R: [IrbService][SendSircsThread] IR key convert IRB:26->UEI:1
02-16 23:15:23.323  4762  4802 D IrbService-R: [IrbService][SendSircsThread] pathThroughSendCommand Start
02-16 23:15:23.323  4810  4824 I UEI.SmartControl.Sony: ------ IControl API: 9
02-16 23:15:23.323  4762  4802 E IrbService-R: [IrbService][SendSircsThread] ERROR: Device Instance Null!!
02-16 23:15:23.323  4762  4802 D IrbService-R: [IrbService][SendSircsThread] pathThroughSendCommand End
02-16 23:15:23.323  4762  4802 D IrbService-R: [IrbService][SendSircsThread] pathThroughSendIR End
02-16 23:15:23.323  4762  4802 E IrbService-R: [IrbService][SendSircsThread] SendIR Failed
02-16 23:15:23.323  4762  4802 D IrbService-R: [IrbService][SendSircsThread] sendSircs END(false)
02-16 23:15:23.324  4762  4802 D IrbService-R: [IrbService][SendSircsThread] handleMessasge what0 sendSircs
02-16 23:15:23.324  4762  4802 D IrbService-R: [IrbService][SendSircsThread] handleMessasge what0 set mSkipSameKeyFlag to false
02-16 23:15:23.324  4762  4802 D IrbService-R: [IrbService][SendSircsThread] handleMessasge END

It seems that the IR Blaster is not recognized by the television, failing upon trying to select the device instance, either it's "device" name does not matches "SonyIRBlaster_STB" or the "device" type is not DEVICE_TYPE_STB (constant which is 0).

Now the question is which IR Blaster is recognized by KD-55XD7005, as the one with part number 1-845-283-12 (product name IRB0161399) is not, that I don't have another mispurchase.

Can someone please tell me what the part number of the IR Blaster that comes with the UK models of KD-55XD7005?