Join now - be part of our community!

Is my A1 defective? 10mbs on TV and 100mb on laptop!

profile.country.GB.title
hugolima32
Explorer

Is my A1 defective? 10mbs on TV and 100mb on laptop!

Hello,

I have my tv A1 55" connected to a wifi (probably 5ghz since same router have 2 wifis 2.4 and 5gz with same name).

I was trying to avoid a cable since on my laptop I get a speed of 100mbs.

Today I realize NETFLIX have a network speed test option. I made the test. 9mbs!!!!?!?

I then tried fast.com and www.speedtest.net. SAME!!! Around 9mbs to 10mbs!!

I rund 4K on Netflix and I dont realize any lag. But I am not sure if the quality is automatically downgraded to fit the network speed.

Anyone please tell me if:

1) The tv actual is receiving 100mbs but some fault is making the tests telling there is only 10mbs coming. 

2) Its defective.

- Laptop side by side with tv, same network. 100mbs on the Laptop, same website tests.

What should I do?

Tags (3)
4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

speedtest.net gives you wrong stats on androidtv, do not trust it. To be sure you are viewing your netflix movie at the right resolution just hit the Info button while playing and it should show you resolution 2160 and a speed of around 15Mbps for a 4K novie, that's the maximum needed by the app.

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @hugolima32,

are you sure you are not confusing MB/s and Mbit/s?

10MB/s would be 80Mbit/s, so 80% of the full speed available.

The test @rooobb suggested is a good idea as well, if the speedtest in fact shows wrong results on A-TVs.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
hugolima32
Explorer

Now I got confused.

Never paid atention to Mbit/s vs Mb/s

So, I was always wrong when I thougt that downloading a file with 1Gb at a speed of 100mbps could take like 10 seconds. So now I realize that means 100mbps = 12,5MB/s so, 1Gb at the speed of 100mbps would take 1000/12,5= 80 Seconds... is this correct??

Anyway, all the tests I got Mbps.

I made test with speedtest, fast.com, netflix app..... all of them I got around 9 to 10 Mbps. BUT with my laptop on same websites I get 110 Mbps!!!

If I connect the cable to the Tv I get around 70 Mbps....

What could be wrong with the tv ??

profile.country.SI.title
mikrohard
Explorer

Well.. WiFi is a very delicate technology. It depends on many different things like range between the router & client, obstacles between them, antenna arrangement, frequency, etc. There is not necessarily any problem with your TV. Maybe it's just in an ackward position & gets bad WiFi signal. Maybe there's a compatibility issue with your TV & router which causes lower speeds. Maybe you just need to change the channel (frequency) of the WiFi or the width of the channel. I recommend using a cable if its possible... its much more reliable than WiFi.