Join now - be part of our community!

Issues with wifi after Android firmware update? (KD-55XD8577)

profile.country.GB.title
chomerly

Issues with wifi after Android firmware update? (KD-55XD8577)

I don't know if anyone else has experienced this issue but i'm having internet connection issues with 5Ghz wireless on my TV.

My model, KD-55XD8577, just stopped communicating with my router last night, which is positioned about 12 feet opposite my TV with no obstructions.  I didn't notice it at first as i was watching normal television but when i switched over to watch something on YouTube i was greeted with a message telling me that there was a connection error.

This led to me spending the next 2+ hours trying to diagnose the issue, restoring the TV back to factory settings and eventually restoring my router back to it's factory settings, to cut a long story short.

Every other device in my home that supports 5Ghz wifi works without issue.  In fact, my Surface tab which i am using right now to create this post is connected this way.  I did manage to get the TV connected to the internet for about 20 minutes last night but it lost the connection again, with no explanation why.

I got up this morning and checked the TV again to see if anything had changed but this issue was still happening.  It was at this point that i decided to check if 2.4Ghz wireless was having the same issue.  As soon as i switched over to 2.4Ghz it worked immediately and i was able to do everything as normal again.  I then decided to take a look on the forums to see if this is happening to other people with this, or similar Android models.  While navigating to the threads i noticed a post talking about the new Android firmware update and that it was released yesterday 19 April 2017.  This immediately got me thinking that this can be the only reason why my TV suddenly stopped connecting to the internet via 5Ghz wifi.  My TV has automatic updates turned on so I can only assume that the new firmware (PKG3.533.0108EUB) is the cause for this as it would be the only thing that had changed.  My TV worked fine on both wireless modes before yesterday but since the firmware update only 2.4Ghz works without issue.

Now, this brings me to ask the question, where does this leave people like me when we are unable to connect our TV's via an RJ45 network cable, and can't use 5Ghz wifi in order to watch 4k content via Amazon and/or Netflix?

Also, when can we expect to get a fix for this?

Yes, i know you can still watch 4k content via 2.4Ghz but 5Ghz gives peace of mind when there are more devices in the household that utilise 2.4Ghz.

In any case, i am not a happy about the fact that my TV has been reduced in its capabilities via a simple update.  And making the case that i still have 2.4Ghz and a wired option simply doesn't cut it as an excuse. I purchased the TV with the capabilities mentioned in its description and, considering i have only had the TV for a month, i expect to be able to use those capabilities as and when i please.

Tags (2)
23 REPLIES 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Argh !!

That issue got fixed:

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/android-tv/2016-xd93-won-t-connect-to-hidden-wifi-network/m-p/216369...

Can you please test by unhiding the 5Ghz SSID

If it connects and works - therefore indicates an older bug has come back.

Cheers

danvaida
Explorer

It works. With the exposed SSID, it works on 5GHz as well. So, IIUC, this is a regression? Although not ideal, it is a good enough interim solution. Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@danvaida wrote:

It works. With the exposed SSID, it works on 5GHz as well. So, IIUC, this is a regression? Although not ideal, it is a good enough interim solution. Thanks!

Yep - does seem like its a regression of an older bug.

You're Welcome :slight_smile:

profile.country.IT.title
Paolo06Sony

Trying to connect my XD8305 by wifi, I see it's not able to connect.

I can see it in the list of the router but after a long while, it shows an error.

Is the tv not able to connect using WPA-PSK TKIP-AES 256 bits encryption?

I'm lucky because usually the tv is good connected by wire...

Anonymous
Not applicable
Anonymous
Not applicable

@chomerly wrote:

Thank you for updating this thread with rregards to this problem.

I haven't tried 5Ghz WiFi since the update as i have used a cable instead.  I have been in touch with the store i purchased my TV from but i am still waiting on a response.  Sony haven't gotten back to me and now the store is taking the proverbial pee.

Part of me is beginning to think i should have chosen a different brand television, with Android, but hindsight is a beautiful thing.

@chomerly - Are you still having an issue with the 5Ghz band?  If so, is the SSID hidden like danvaida reported?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually, I think I am the one that needs help here !

I am struggling to connect the TV via Wi-Fi on both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz frequencies - which is possibly the reason why I also couldnt connect when I tried the hide the SSID's yesterday when testing.

Both SSID's are using WPA2-Personal and AES.  However it would not connect.  When the TV failed, I manually inserted the network details (ip address, subnet, gateway and DNS) and it eventually found the 2.4Ghz network (havnt tested this under 5Ghz yet). 

Devices connected on my network - as you can see a mix of wired/wireless 2.4 and 5Ghz

Network List.jpg

Interesting that my router is picking up 192.168.1.209 as a DHCP address (which the DHCP range finishes at 99)....

Leaving that aside, anyone have suggestions on why I cannot connect using the 'easy' setup to Wifi on either 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz?

@Paolo06Sony - Is this the same for you, in regards to your previous post above??

Cheers

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well well well...  I have figured it out.  After spending 2 hours testing that is !

It seems that under Marshmallow, If you have an ethernet cable already connected you cannot connect to a Wi-Fi network at all.  Removing the ethernet cable allowed me to connect via Wi-Fi on either frequencies.

I would be most grateful if someone else can test this out on their TV too.

Ran another test in regards to the hidden SSID issue and I can still confirm that 5Ghz is an issue.

Thanks all

profile.country.IT.title
Paolo06Sony

Oh Yeah!

Me too: when the wire is connected, the TV is not able to connect by wifi to the router.

Nice security rule... but... I would like to choose to enable this rule.

The re-connection is very fast. Just removing the cable, wifi is connected. As I insert the plug again, the wifi is disconnected.

Thank you Quinnicus

Anonymous
Not applicable

You're welcome Paolo06Sony and thank you for confirming this too. :slight_smile: