Join now - be part of our community!

ITV channel 1 not available in ITV hub. KD55XH9505

profile.country.GB.title
truthseeker2
Explorer

ITV channel 1 not available in ITV hub. KD55XH9505

Recently bought the Sony KD55XH9505 and finding that the itv hub loads easily as does BBC i player etc. Problem is that the ITV hub will give me all channels except ITV 1 (Which happens to be the channel most sought by my other half  for Coronation St catchup). Tried carrying out a fix which other users have used, having experienced the same issue on different Sony tv models, but cannot find an app on this tv 'YVservicehostAPK'  where clearing the cache then clearing data could possibly produce a solution. Anyone else having this problem or does anyone have a fix which could work on this set?

92 REPLIES 92
profile.country.GB.title
Rayw53

Youview and Sony are investigating the issue.

I'm eagerly awaiting their response.

profile.country.GB.title
Rayw53

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/articles/00136179 

This is Sony support's latest attempt to Palm me off.

This is 2018 information, out of date..

I have suggested that this makes their state of the art TV rather less than smart for anyone who does not use a terrestrial aerial and youview for their access to itv etc.

profile.country.GB.title
James2-J
Explorer

So they are saying if you connect an aerial to the TV, ITV Hub will allow you to watch catch-up ITV1 shows on this model? Can anyone confirm?

Seems strange given that the ITV Hub app asks for your postcode to determine your location, and also that ITV Hub works on other devices without needing an aerial.

Either way I have no interest in connecting an aerial to the television, don't have an aerial to connect to and won't be getting one. I thought I would be able to use ITV Hub without one.

profile.country.GB.title
Rayw53

If you connect an aerial, tune the TV channels, itv hub and all 4 work. You can then disconnect the aerial and continue to get all the catch-up stuff over internet.

It's really stupid, one of my workarounds for itvhub is to log onto itvhub in my tablet and cast it to the very unsmart Sony TV.

All they ( Sony) need to do is allow you to install itvhub etc from Google play store, bypassing the need to install youview to get all the catch-up services.

I'm not sure what Sony and youviews issue is, but for some contractual thing between them they do not allow this.

There is a solution, if you remove youview and sideload itvhub etc I believe it will work without an aerial. 

Having paid £1,000 for a smart TV I don't believe I should have to resort to sideloading to access smart services that should be available to me even if I use satellite for TV and don't have an aerial.

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hi Guys, I've noticed that there's no pattern here, what I would say is try all the steps and contact Sony with the info posted by Rayw53 to start the investigation. I've also seen other users complaining about this issue along with other issues with YouView. Do you have an aerial too Ali1802 ?

profile.country.GB.title
James2-J
Explorer

From another thread it seems perhaps a retune with an aerial is required to get ITV Hub to recognise location. I have no aerial in my house, I have no interest in getting one and getting an amazon tv stick for ITV Hub would be cheaper than getting an aerial installed. Stunning lack of imagination from Sony and / or Youview , not taking into account that someone in 2021 might buy one of their TVs not intending to ever connect it to an aerial.

profile.country.GB.title
Rayw53

Well that's pretty close to what I have said to Sony .  £1,000 for a TV that's not very smart without an aerial... Very poor.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Rayw53 

I’ve been a YouView user since 2012, of the boxes, and a Sony Android user since 2015, and trying to support (and seemingly more often apologising for) YouView on these sets since then.

Originally, YouView brought with it the itv Hub and All4, and you couldn’t use these unless you were on the ‘YouView side’ of these TVs, and you had to have tuned in the terrestrial channels to use them. But on this side, you couldn’t use satellite, and you couldn’t record.

But there was a way of disabling YouView and going back to the ‘Freeview side’ of these sets, where you gained satellite and recording, but lost the itv Hub and All4. And also the YouView facilities, including the backwards EPG and the deep linking into the Players, of course.

Then Hoshsadiq came along, with his method for sideloading those two Players on the Freeview side; but you still needed to have made the terrestrial tuning for them to work.

And so things were for four or five years; and then they changed with the 2020 sets, and I have rather lost track of them since 😢

I think the idea now is that you can flit from YouView side to Freeview side more or less at will; YouView now provide all four Players, but they don’t need the terrestrial tuning, and they will still work on the Freeview side.

And maybe this is being retrofitted to some earlier sets in Sony/YouView updates. Or maybe not.

But whatever the idea is, it’s not quite happening like that. But let’s hope the above is the idea, and any inadvertent departures from it are going to be fixed, as anything else really doesn’t make sense in 2021, when buying a FireStick to get your Players working like they should is cheaper than having an aerial put up. Even assuming you could get a signal that way anyway.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
Ali1802
Explorer

Hi all, 

So.... i tried the full reset and that didn't work but somebody mentioned an aerial so I unplugged the aerial from my BT you view box and plugged it straight into the TV, ran a search on digital channels and when complete took the aerial back to the BT box. Magically this seems to have fixed the problem and ITV hub now working as it should be....

thanks for all your help!

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

Hi @Ali1802 

If you have a recording YouView box, then you could get a male-to-female aerial extension cable (or a male-to-male with a female-to-female coupler, which is how Curry’s sell them, and comes to the same thing) and link that from the Aerial Out on the YouView box to your TV Aerial In, and have the choice of watching terrestrial TV on either.

This works when the YouView box is on or in normal standby, and there is a setting (RF Passthrough, sometimes called RF Loopthrough) that you can turn on in the Settings Menu of the YouView box to have this work even when the box is in deep standby.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…