Join now - be part of our community!

KD-43XD8305 - Youtube 4K

profile.country.GB.title
chenks76
Explorer

KD-43XD8305 - Youtube 4K

how can you tell if Youtube is actually playing 4K content or not?

i'm casting a youtube video from my laptop to the TV. the youtuve video has a 4K option.

but when the video plays, there is no actual indicator (other than using your eyes) that it's playing 4K.

pressing pauses brings up the info screen, which has an HD icon.

11 REPLIES 11
xx4L0Mxx
Contributor

Why don't you just use the YouTube app on the TV itself? Play a 4k video on the TV's YouTube app, when it starts playing, click on the little HQ button and choose 2160p.

profile.country.GB.title
chenks76
Explorer

the video is playing on the youtube app on the TV.

do you not understand what casting is?

xx4L0Mxx
Contributor

"i'm casting a youtube video from my laptop to the TV. the youtuve video has a 4K option". 

Enlighten me. You are casting FROM your laptop to your TV, yet when I politely tell you to just use the native TV app you give me grief. Really? 

Edited for tone of voice -EdU

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello there

Can I politely encourage you both to take a back step and count to 10.  I think there has been a miss-communication between you both and probably mistaken for something else.

emy2g.jpg

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
chenks76
Explorer

your second response clearly shows you don't understand what casting is.

i'm casting a youtube video FROM my laptop to the youtbe app on the TV.

the second you hit the cast button it loads the youtube app on the TV and starts playing the video.

clearly you don't understand ... the technology in question.

Edited for tone of voice -EdU

profile.country.GB.title
chenks76
Explorer

@Anonymous the guy is trying to be a smart [edited], and he quite righytly needs put in his place.

Note:Edited by Quinnicus - profanity.

xx4L0Mxx
Contributor

No worries. Happy Christmas Quinnicus! 

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@chenks76 wrote:

@Anonymous the guy is trying to be a smart [edited], and he quite righytly needs put in his place.

Note:Edited by Quinnicus - profanity.

Hi @chenks76

You aren't coming off very well here 😞

And I don't think you know what casting is, and that is at the root of the problem.

When you cast, the device you are casting from originates the material, and the device you are casting to displays it passively, whether or not it possesses the application you are casting from.

Well, that is true of Miracast casting at least.

Chromecasting, however, is different, and that does work the way you describe; the Chromecasting device gives the Chromecast on the TV - possibly a physical device, but more probably the built-in Chromecast functionality on one of these Android TVs - something of a clue as to what it wants, and the Chromecast in/on the TV fires up the App on the TV - if it is Chromecast-compatible, as YouTube certainly is - and displays it,

These Sony TVs, though, support both Miracasting and Chromecasting; and since you have not specified which you are using, this is the cause of the ambiguity and doubt here.

So it would greatly help if you could specify which, instead of profaning people who are only trying to help you 😞

Having clarified it thus far, though, we are still left with the question of whether either casting method supports 4K, on which I would need to do more research.

Certainly, 4K over a physical Chromecast requires a Chromecast Ultra, and it may well be that the virtual Chromecast built in to these Sony TVs isn't Ultra.

And I'd bet the Miracast isn't either.

We can hope for upgrades here, but I suspect that the HD you are seeing is the best you can cast, by either method, at the moment,

And I hope this posting can bring some light, rather than more heat, to this discussion; let's be civilised, please, as I am sure we are all people of goodwill.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
chenks76
Explorer

i am, obviously, talking about chromecast.

seeing as the TV is an Android TV device with chromecast (actually now called Google Cast) built-in.

so yes, i DO know what casting is.