Join now - be part of our community!

KD-49X8309C remote control working intermittently

KD-49X8309C remote control working intermittently

I have had the tv for about 10 months now, in the past few months the remote has worked less often over time to the point that it now works about 5 mins every day. I have got a samsung galaxy s5 which has got an ir blaster and i downloaded an app to use my phone as a remote when i got the tv anx it worked perfect. The original remote was more handy to use so stopped using the phone. When the remote started playing up i did what it said in the manual which was to change the batteries... have tried over 20 sets of batteries from duracell to rechargeable and the problem still persists, even the ir on my phone doesn't work any more. I am now using an app on my phone that uses the wifi connection called TV Sideview and this is the only thing that works which is obviously not ideal. 

When i press a button on the remote when it is working then the light comes on under where it says Sony on the tv, when it doesn't then there is no light. I have also checked that there is a signal coming from the remote by using the camera on my phone to look at the IR light and it is coming on when a button is pressed. 

I am hoping there is a fix but am thinking that it is a problem with the IR reciever on the tv.

Is there anything else i can check before taking the tv in to be repaired? 

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7

Now the remote doesn't work at all on my tv, it works on my parents tv as they bought the exact same one with my recommendation. So it is definitely a problem with the IR reciever on the tv. Looks like the warranty will be being used...

profile.country.GB.title
dekker1941
Explorer

Same problem here. I just tap the remote on my knee or my hand and it usually works.

Sometimes I have to slide the battery cover back and just turn the batteries slightly then it's ok - until the next time!

It rarely works for more than a day or so without having to do this.

When I first had the set I took the original remote back and had it exchanged but still have the problem.

I also have the Sony App on my mobile phone which works ok but is a bit awkward to use.

This is the most sluggish responding TV I have ever had, especially when launching the Guide.

Otherwise I am very pleased with it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Have you done a factory reset recently - As I would recommend this.  But before you do a firmware update was released yesterday - best to update and then factory reset.

Cheers

I ended up having to send the tv back in for repair, sony repaired it and had to change the IR receiver circuit board.

Dot140845
New

Following yesterday's firmware upgrade my KD-43X8307C is running even more slowly and the top left button on the remote which normally gives a quick way to select hdmi channels etc no longer works. The firmware upgrade was applied only a week after a factory reset.Something wrong in the firmware?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Many (including me) are reporting that the new firmware (3.533) does make the TV feel more quicker/snappier.  As you are having issues AFTER a firmware update, I would suggest a factory reset (i know you will say "Again") but it should clear any 'gremlins' left over after an update.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
dekker1941
Explorer

I would just like to say that after the recent Marshmallow update my TV is sorted.

It is now blazingly fast switching to the guide and various other inputs and the remote works every time no problem.

Just like it should have been from the start.

Previous resets/restarts had made no difference to my problems!