Join now - be part of our community!

KD 49XE 9005 frame/field jumps on 50i content

profile.country.GB.title
Titx62HZE
Explorer

KD 49XE 9005 frame/field jumps on 50i content

Sony 49XE9005 its a great tv apart from occasional annoying frame/field jumps hopefully Sony will update the software to fix this problem ( 23.98 and 25psf mastered content seem ok).

11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hi @Titx62HZE,

50i (interlaced) content is always embedded inside a 25p (progressive scan) video.

Unless the TV does some weird "deinterlacing", there shouldn't be any effect different from the 25p content.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
Titx62HZE
Explorer

Yes it's an odd one but it does happen on 50i shot & mastered content mainly studio based stuff but drama shot and mastered at 25p looks ok.

So yes the tv must do some odd process.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

That issue? According to RTINGS, this won't get fixed:

"Sony explicitly told us they won’t fix the 50Hz frame drop since they mentioned it is hard to fix and there is a workaround (game mode)"

Sony is constantly screwing up currently. Just don't buy their products.

Bad thing is that review sites like RTINGS or HDTVTests know about those issues but won't mention them in their reviews. Just a huge lobby.

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

@Kuschelmonschter wrote:

"Sony explicitly told us they won’t fix the 50Hz frame drop since they mentioned it is hard to fix and there is a workaround (game mode)"

Bad thing is that review sites like RTINGS or HDTVTests know about those issues but won't mention them in their reviews. Just a huge lobby.

Whats interesting is when I reported this recently as I had, had enough, Sony technical support claim they have never heard about it.

What I find annoying is that people keep saying game mode is a work around, it isn't. The picture in game mode flickers because its doing something odd with (or not properly) handling de-interlacing. I tried using this work around recently watching World Cup games and the flicker is only slightly better than the frame stutter/repeat issue itself.

Photo mode is slightly better in this respect, but you still lose picture customisations. I honesly can't believe a bug like this actually didn't get fixed when the first released the TV as its one of those things, once you have seen it, you cannot unsee it.

profile.country.GB.title
speedyrite

@stormyuk wrote:

@Kuschelmonschter wrote:

Whats interesting is when I reported this recently as I had, had enough, Sony technical support claim they have never heard about it.

What I find annoying is that people keep saying game mode is a work around, it isn't. The picture in game mode flickers because its doing something odd with (or not properly) handling de-interlacing. I tried using this work around recently watching World Cup games and the flicker is only slightly better than the frame stutter/repeat issue itself.

Photo mode is slightly better in this respect, but you still lose picture customisations. I honesly can't believe a bug like this actually didn't get fixed when the first released the TV as its one of those things, once you have seen it, you cannot unsee it.

Perhaps it would be better to say/think that "using game (or photo) is only a temporary workaround" - i.e. temporary either until such time as there is a proper fix or an "alternative solution" (e.g. a mass recall/replacement or whatever) occurs to sort out the issue once and for all?

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

@speedyrite wrote:

Perhaps it would be better to say/think that "using game (or photo) is only a temporary workaround" - i.e. temporary either until such time as there is a proper fix or an "alternative solution" (e.g. a mass recall/replacement or whatever) occurs to sort out the issue once and for all?

Thats certain better wording but did that come from Sony? As from the quote above it seems Sony might not even be working on a fix, my own experience so far is they do not even acknowledge there is an issue.

profile.country.GB.title
Silverfr
Explorer

Hello,

Try to turn On AV/SYNC.

From AVS Forum, this fix the problem:

Hey guys,

in german board "hifi-forum.de" the member gm-film found a solution to fix the 50hz bug. There seems to be a problem with the A/V Sync option for Bluetooth devices that causes the frame repeat/drops (doesn't matter if you actually use bluetooth devices or not). To fix the bug you need to go to the home menu -> settings -> sound -> AV Sync -> "On". -> By using this workaround the frame repeat/drops should be fine.

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

Despite a promise from numerous people at Sony telling me that the next firmware revision would fix this, guess what, it hasn't. I cannot say I am suprised. :slight_smile:

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

That's one of their support tactics... next firmware will fix everything, even famine in the Third World...