Join now - be part of our community!

KD 49XE9005 and Sound Bar HT CT290. Sound out of sync

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
ealpm01
Explorer

KD 49XE9005 and Sound Bar HT CT290. Sound out of sync

I have just bought a KD 49XE9005 with a HT CT290 Sound Bar and the sound is out of sync with the picture.   How do I fix this please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there,

There are a number of circumstances that can cause the audio and video to be out of sync:

• If watching a TV program, it could be the broadcast itself or a bad connection between your cable/satellite set-top box (if applicable).
  • If a DVD or Blu-ray Disc® player is connected, a poor connection or the disc itself could be the cause.
  • When connected to a home theater system with a digital optical cable, then there may be an audio delay that requires a manual adjustment on the home theater system. There may even be a setting on the TV itself causing this issue.

NOTE: Because each of the steps below represents a possible solution to this issue, check if the issue is resolved after completing each step.

1. Make sure that the TV has the latest system software (firmware) installed.

NOTES:

2. If watching a TV program, try changing the channel to see if the problem occurs on other channels; if it only occurs on one channel, then the issue is with the broadcast.

NOTE: If the issue occurs on one channel only, contact the broadcast network provider.

3. Make sure all cables are securely connected to the TV and the source device (set-top box, DVD player, Blu-ray Disc player, home theater system, or game console).
  4. Try playing a different video source to determine if the issue occurs with other connected devices.
  5. If your TV has a Game Mode setting, do one of the following:
    • Set the Game Mode to Off when watching TV or playing a DVD or Blu-ray Disc.
    • Set the Game Mode to On when playing a video game.
  6. If issue is happening when using TV speakers, perform a power reset on the TV.
  7. If there is a home theater system and a digital optical cable is used in the connection, manually change the Audio/Video Sync or Audio Delay setting on the home theater system (if available).

NOTES:

• Audio delay adjustments usually range from 0ms to approximately 250ms.
    • For information about the availability of A/V sync or Audio Delay setting, refer to the operating instructions supplied with the product. Go to Manuals, Specifications & Warranty.
    • For a third-party home theater system, check the instruction manual or contact the manufacturer for information on how to adjust the A/V sync setting.

If the issue is still unresolved, service may be required.

I hope this helps and welcome to the community.

Best wishes,

M

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there,

There are a number of circumstances that can cause the audio and video to be out of sync:

• If watching a TV program, it could be the broadcast itself or a bad connection between your cable/satellite set-top box (if applicable).
  • If a DVD or Blu-ray Disc® player is connected, a poor connection or the disc itself could be the cause.
  • When connected to a home theater system with a digital optical cable, then there may be an audio delay that requires a manual adjustment on the home theater system. There may even be a setting on the TV itself causing this issue.

NOTE: Because each of the steps below represents a possible solution to this issue, check if the issue is resolved after completing each step.

1. Make sure that the TV has the latest system software (firmware) installed.

NOTES:

2. If watching a TV program, try changing the channel to see if the problem occurs on other channels; if it only occurs on one channel, then the issue is with the broadcast.

NOTE: If the issue occurs on one channel only, contact the broadcast network provider.

3. Make sure all cables are securely connected to the TV and the source device (set-top box, DVD player, Blu-ray Disc player, home theater system, or game console).
  4. Try playing a different video source to determine if the issue occurs with other connected devices.
  5. If your TV has a Game Mode setting, do one of the following:
    • Set the Game Mode to Off when watching TV or playing a DVD or Blu-ray Disc.
    • Set the Game Mode to On when playing a video game.
  6. If issue is happening when using TV speakers, perform a power reset on the TV.
  7. If there is a home theater system and a digital optical cable is used in the connection, manually change the Audio/Video Sync or Audio Delay setting on the home theater system (if available).

NOTES:

• Audio delay adjustments usually range from 0ms to approximately 250ms.
    • For information about the availability of A/V sync or Audio Delay setting, refer to the operating instructions supplied with the product. Go to Manuals, Specifications & Warranty.
    • For a third-party home theater system, check the instruction manual or contact the manufacturer for information on how to adjust the A/V sync setting.

If the issue is still unresolved, service may be required.

I hope this helps and welcome to the community.

Best wishes,

M

profile.country.GB.title
ealpm01
Explorer

Thanks Michael,

I will try all of that and see how I get on.  Might take a little while!

All the best

Les.

profile.country.GB.title
ealpm01
Explorer

Hi Michael,

I have managed to investigate my problem further with your suggestions.  It looks as if the problem lies with my Freeview Recorder.  We view all our TV programmes through it.  Plugging the aerial  directly into the TV does not cause the problem neither does the Blu Ray player.

I have found an audio delay adjustment on the recorder and fiddling about with that looks as though it will clear the problem.  Just a case of finding the right level.

Thanks very much for your assistance and if I need any further help I will ask again.

All the best

Les.

anthony46
New

I have exactly the same issue with certain services. Freeview TV is fine but watching youtube is awful... Serious lag. I've messaged Sony support but no response as yet. It's brand new. I'm looking for any suggestions. I've also bought a karaoke machine and the lag is even worse!

profile.country.GB.title
NickJoh

If you Google lip-sync error correction you will find it is "always" present because there is nothing within the signals to define when they were "ever" in sync.  We usually ignore it by subconsciously looking away from the faces and lip movement because it is impossible in the "real" world and our brains can not reconcile the contradiction of reality we would otherwise experience.  This has a negative impact on our perception of the characters even when we don't consciously notice the problem.

If this interests you Google "Reeves and Voelker Audio Asynchrony" and I'm sure you will find many links to a study done at Stanford over 20 years ago which documented lip-sync error makes us feel the characters are more agitated, less truthful, less successful, etc.  The same way we feel about people who don't make eye contact with us but ironically "we" viewers are the ones looking away from the characters' lips and faces.

The Stanford study reported most people don't consciously notice lip-sync error under 42 ms but the negative impact is still there.

But once we do notice the problem and it enters our conscious mind we start seeing tiny lip-sync error orders of magnitude less than we were previously able to ignore.  Years ago my TV had about 64 ms video delay and I had never consciously noticed it but after encountering larger lip-sync error my defense mechanism of looking askance went away and it began to bother me on every programme I watched.

I bought a Felston DD340 (this was over 10 years ago and I moved up to their DD540  and more recently to their DD740) which allows me to tweak the audio delay in 1 ms steps for perfect sync.  Several other companies make similar dedicated lip-sync correction units (Alchemy2, Primare's delay box, etc.).  All of them give the user a remote control to adjust audio delay in 1 ms steps while watching talking heads without plastering menus all over the screen.

Some TV's (not Sony) give the user control over audio delay but it is usually in such huge increments (like 10 or 20 ms) you really can't ever get it to seem perfect. You really need 1 ms steps. My DD740 even offers a fine mode with 1/3 ms steps but I never use that mode.

In any event my experience is that there is no way to achieve perfect lip-sync  without one of these devices. I say that because it varies so much from programme to programme a fixed delay won't really help. In my case I sometimes have to reduce the audio delay below my TV's video delay (about 60 ms as I don't have a 4K set which would be greater) which means I am using some of the screen's video delay to offset arriving udio delay - which is rare but does happen occassionally.  But usually I have to add 70 to 170 ms extra audio delay to offset the varying video delay from programme to programme. I even had to add over 300 ms one time.

One thing to note:  Sony adds audio delay equal to the screen's video delay to both the internal speakers as well as to the optical audio output from the TV so if you use the optical output to your AV receiver or soundbar you will not have the negative adjustment range of reducing audio delay below your screen delay using that video delay to cancel arriving audio delay. Again, rare, but it does happen. Sony assumes the arriving signals are in sync but that is rarely the case.

But some spaeker systems add audio delay which can push lip-sync error above your threshold of recognition. Sonos for example adds about 30 ms which normally isn't recognizable but may be on top of the audio delay Sony adds. To correct that just take each source's audio directly to your sound system and bypass the TV. That way in conjunction with a variable audio delay you have a little variable video delay equal to your TV's video delay.  In my case with a screen delay of 60 ms I have an adjustment range of -60 to +620 ms (since my DD740 offers 680 ms audio delay).

Devialet speakers add about 150 ms audio delay which can't be corrected by adding more audio delay so I wouldn't use them for AV application unless perhaps with a video projector which I am told often have over 300 ms video delay.

The insidious thing about lip-sync error is that it normally masks itself (our defense mechanism of looking away) but when noticed that subconscious defense vanishes and we start consciuously focusing on the lips as never before. We aren't even aware of this change in our own sensitivity and this means we ususlly still see the problem even after correcting the error below the level of error we were previously oblivious to.

profile.country.GB.title
pointy101
Explorer

I have a xe9005 55" and the 290 sound bar ,I have the same issue ,apps on the TV like Netflix etc are fine ,but my sky TV feed it always out of sync on every channel,I have tried different hdmi leads and it's still the same ,tried the audio delay option on sky but that only takes it more out of sync .Any help would be great thanks 

profile.country.GB.title
Biaferon
New

This is not helpful I can only delay the audio even worse. I have a brand new Sony 49 inch bravia TV and Sony ct290 new soundbar. Optical and HDMI DRC out of sync

profile.country.IE.title
soundman2020
Explorer

I have similar issue.

I can adjust the audio from the source and it corrects the issue but if I listen to the source on the TV speakers its way out.

Also if powered on for hours it drifts to out of sync again. 

Turning off and on the soundbar sorts it temporarily but its not a solution.

Audio sync seems to be common on this model soundbar.

profile.country.GB.title
Bedwelljp
Explorer

I have the same issue with my GX81. The way I resolved it was to put the output from the sky unit directly into the soundbar. Then use the HDMI Arc lead to the TV. I would say that it’s not perfect as it depends on certain types of broadcasts But it’s pretty much there.

Its quite odd though as ideally you would want to introduce the delay via the TV and it’s the picture you need to delay as the sound arrives after, that’s why when you adjust the sky unit it gets worse, as you are delaying the sound to the TV.

my soundbar is a Cambridge Audio TVB2 V2 which has 4K pass through.